Turkey eggs

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have just been given a couple of turkey eggs by a farmer friend that I am just about to eat the eggs not the farmer, Have any of you eaten turkey eggs before what is the best way to prepare them as I have heard the yolk is a little runny and they dont fry well.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just need a little longer to boil due to their size, about 12 mins once the water comes up to boil (yolk will be soft still at this point, but not runny). Don't as with any egg plunge into boiling water, they will crack, let them heat up with it. I like runny yolks and this timing sholud achieve that, them devour with hot buttered toast and huge amounts of fresh milled pepper.
YUM
Goatboy.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just need a little longer to boil due to their size, about 12 mins once the water comes up to boil (yolk will be soft still at this point, but not runny). Don't as with any egg plunge into boiling water, they will crack, let them heat up with it. I like runny yolks and this timing sholud achieve that, them devour with hot buttered toast and huge amounts of fresh milled pepper.
YUM
Goatboy.

Thanks for that post, now i have to go buy some eggs for lunch! :rolleyes:

Nothing better than runny egg and soldiers, lots of black pepper and a little salt :eek:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I have just been given a couple of turkey eggs by a farmer friend that I am just about to eat the eggs not the farmer, Have any of you eaten turkey eggs before what is the best way to prepare them as I have heard the yolk is a little runny and they dont fry well.

Your lucky to get the eggs mate as they only lay a few and those are usually used to get more birds. I looked into this ages ago and was surprised by what i found out !!:D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Eggs and soldiers are thr tops, though a very close second and I'm sure Belzeebob23 and the late Spike would agree is fried eggs and chips. ( I'm not even that fond of chips but wow it's simple and good)

CHeers
GB

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Whilst on the subject of eggs & soldiers this is my tip:

It's a bit of an obvious one, but I see so many people not do this.

After you butter the toast, sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of the toast.
That way it sticks to it the butter and you get an even spread rather than sprinkling it on top of the egg and getting a mouthful of salt on your first dip and none at the bottom.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Whilst on the subject of eggs & soldiers this is my tip:

It's a bit of an obvious one, but I see so many people not do this.

After you butter the toast, sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of the toast.
That way it sticks to it the butter and you get an even spread rather than sprinkling it on top of the egg and getting a mouthful of salt on your first dip and none at the bottom.

Belting idea!

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
never had salt and pepper with my egg and toast! will have to try it tomorrow for breakfast and report back!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ate them last night I broke the first one into a cup and the yolk looked ok to me so I fried it really tasty boiled the second for 41/2 mins it was a little soft but tasted very nice

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
We always make a little mixed pile of salt and pepper on the plate (or whatever)... Then, when you've dipped into the yolk, you can touch it on the pile :D

I love how everyone does it differently... we could have a poll: Are you a tapper or do you slice the top off :lmao:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Never tried turkey eggs, but I keep geese and their eggs are lovely. You only need one though! :)

Turkey eggs are not as strong as goose eggs from what I can gather the one reason more people don't eat them turkeys only lay approx 120 eggs a year and they are used for new stock the farmer I got mine off is fattening his up for xmas

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I spoke to an old retired farmer who keeps geese, he blames the regular intake of goose eggs for his heart trouble so a word of caution.... They are very very nice though :rolleyes:

Oh he also blames the bacon he used to cure him self, the daily full english and the regular trips to the local:eek: :eek:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I spoke to an old retired farmer who keeps geese, he blames the regular intake of goose eggs for his heart trouble so a word of caution.... They are very very nice though :rolleyes:

Oh he also blames the bacon he used to cure him self, the daily full english and the regular trips to the local:eek: :eek:

Goose eggs are high in cholesterol as is the full english:D

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
Goose eggs are high in cholesterol as is the full english:D

They are also high in tastiness. :)

I give at least half of mine away, one scrambled with some toast is enough for me and the missus. They are seasonal, mine lay from the end of March to the begining of June, four birds give aprox 10 eggs per week when they are in max lay.

I don't like em fried in a frying pan, the albumen goes rubbery, scrambled are nice with a splash of milk and pepper, my favourite is fried in the chip pan, lift out the cage with the chips and crack one into the pan while the oil is still fizzing, take out when the wispy bits of white go brown, if you time it right the yoke will be runny and you can dip your chips in. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE