Tumshie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Found this today on our morning dog walk...

Donatella had been following the scent 'n' footprints of cinghiale (wild boar) and led me to a field that may have been farmed in the past...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Nice to see the perennial discussion between Scots and English about what a turnip is In Galloway we call the big ones turnips(neeps) and the smaller fellas white turnips. Both are very popular

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mashed swede and carrot for me, if you please.

turnups are boring even though they look attractive in the supermarket

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tumshies, swedes, turnips or neeps I wasn't fond of them whatever the name as a wean but we didn't get to make a lantern at halloween if we didn't eat th scoopings. So eat them we did. Though I must say thT my mother used to boil the bejesus out of any veg 'till it was a sour pappy mash. Even when I bought her a steamer in the late 80's I went 'round the next week and sat down to a grey pulp of vegetable matter. I asked about the steamer and the reply was that the cooking times were too short and she still boiled the heck out of them 'till they just gave up.
If properly cooked tumshies and parsnips can be sweet chunks of lovelyness or make a mash only rivaled by mashed caulieflower or mashed butterbeans. :D

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Tumshies, swedes, turnips or neeps I wasn't fond of them whatever the name as a wean but we didn't get to make a lantern at halloween if we didn't eat th scoopings. So eat them we did. Though I must say thT my mother used to boil the bejesus out of any veg 'till it was a sour pappy mash. Even when I bought her a steamer in the late 80's I went 'round the next week and sat down to a grey pulp of vegetable matter. I asked about the steamer and the reply was that the cooking times were too short and she still boiled the heck out of them 'till they just gave up.
If properly cooked tumshies and parsnips can be sweet chunks of lovelyness or make a mash only rivaled by mashed caulieflower or mashed butterbeans. :D

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Your Mother and My Mother should get a cooking show together....Ever seen White Mince.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE