Tulipwood and makore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Now that Elforyn is off the menu, I still can't make up my mind on which wood to go with for my first Enzo Trapper.
Curly birch is out (done too many pukkos!) so can anyone tell me if they have worked with tulipwood?
It looks lovely but I don't know what it is like to work with. Makore is the second option so any views on that would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Yeah, I read that page too :)
And that makes me want it for the Enzo. I think the grain might come up nicely if it's done with Danish oil.
I have heard that it's pretty hard stuff so I'm keen to see if anyone has worked with it.
Either you or I will have to pull the trigger on this wood, lol

Thanks

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL :)

There's too many choices my end, Osage, Black and White Ivory, Zebrano, and on it go's... Have fun though and don't forget to post the end results!

gG85e.jpg

Last edited:

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
You just had to stick a picture up didn't you...:D
I'll get it ordered this week sometime. I'm about to change jobs so I'll have a couple of days to make it.
And I will post photos, no worries on that front.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'll look forwards to it :)

I don't know who you use to source your scales, but a guy called pikebite (possibly on here) gets some stunning wood, pre-stabilized. I think they may even be resin impregnated, but not sure.

Yup, that Barky is sure pruddy!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Makore is renowned for causing allergy problems......worst hayfever and skin itching too. If I were you I'd be very careful with it. Lovely timber though.

cheers,
Toddy

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Most of the Tulip wood you will find over here will be a pale greeny creamy colour going to a pea green, soft and not best suited to knife scales
Z

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I like it, fairly easy to work as well. Mick Wardell sells it on ebay I think if memory serves correct...

IMG_0491.jpg

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Brisa sell Tulipwood scales as one of the Trapper kits, £67 all in.
Toddy, thanks for the heads up on Makore.
Sasquatch, that's the clincher.

One Trapper kit with Tulipwood please...:D

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Well, here she is!
Enzo knives from Dennis at Brisa need no introduction from l'il 'ol me, but I've not seen many in Tulipwood.
Thanks to all on here for the previous advice. I pulled the trigger and got the tulip kit and I love it.
Tulipwood is hard and great to work with. It doesn't take much to polish it, icarved the n fact I only had to go as far as 240 grit, albeit with a wire wool polish. I filed the excess off and carved the vulcanised fibre flush with the 01, just because it seemed easier.

I coated with CCL gunstock conditioner oil and finished it with carnauba wax. It takes a shine nicely. I could have spent a lot of time making this a showroom knife but every time I do this it stops being a user and becomes a "shelf" knife, and I don't need another one of them! This Enzo had to be a user and it is. It is now in the back of my pack ready for use.

Tulipwood does have a problem though. It's very shiney and hard to photograph! I might try some indoor pix soon but here's what happened when I took her to the beach today...
SAM_0827.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0826.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0823.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0822.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0821.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0820.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_0819.jpg
[/IMG]

It's not curly birch for once, but it's different enough to love it. A real keeper!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks lush, that's the first Enzo I've seen in Tulipwood! Might have to get some for myself, it does look nice when finished. Well done and good choice there!

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Thanks!
I just wanted something different that didn't involve anything other than Brisa's precut scales because I don't have a belt sander.
I may have to invest in one though 'cos Enzos are FUN!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE