Trying to find a bushcrafty book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
This may be a long shot but I remember reading a book at school around 1985 or before. I think it was called 'survival' and was a work of fiction about a man who escapes from I think a German prisoner of war camp and his exploits.

One of the only parts that has stuck in my mind is where he dries some meat and turns it into jerky while on the run in the woods?

I have googled and searched for this book but nothing ever matches what I remember. I do remember really liking the book but I was 10 years old!!

Don't suppose anyone knows what book I'm babbling on about?

Ta,

Steve.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
That theme of book was my favourite as a kid! None of these have the word 'survival' in the title, but they might be what you're remembering. The first two are definitely young adult, the third is not specifically a kids book, but it's not exclusively adult either (it's got more in common with the first two than it does Bravo Two Zero!):

Anne Holm - I Am David
Ian Serraillier - The Silver Sword
Eric Williams - The Wooden Horse

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That theme of book was my favourite as a kid! None of these have the word 'survival' in the title, but they might be what you're remembering. The first two are definitely young adult, the third is not specifically a kids book, but it's not exclusively adult either (it's got more in common with the first two than it does Bravo Two Zero!):

Anne Holm - I Am David
Ian Serraillier - The Silver Sword
Eric Williams - The Wooden Horse

Yeah but Bravo Two Zero is a work of fiction too innit?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
only book of that period I recall being called 'survival' was a hardback A4 sized manual comprision of the survival sections of the combat and survival magazine - I have a copy - and the one called combat too - spent many happy hours reading them :D

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the suggestions, I looked them up and they weren't the story I remember. Have also read Bravo two zero!

I am almost certain the book was called just 'survival'?

Steve.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There was one I read as a spod called Survival by Russell Evans.
IIRC it was about a Soviet bloke who escaped from a gulag and had to make his way back across the land to civilisation.
He gets some gear from the man they send to catch him after he gets killed by a bear.
Pretty sure he lives in a cave for a bit, adopts a wolf cub and eventually gets back to civilisation and becomes a woodwork teacher who's very handy at making stuff with an axe.

Does that sound about right?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That could well be it demographic! The title is right and the plot sounds right except I thought it was a German prisoner camp but could well be wrong.

Funny how I entered every combination of that books title on Amazon in the past and never spotted it? Will order it as it is only a couple of quid and see if it is the one!

Ta muchly,

Steve

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I remember I really liked the book and considering how long ago I read it I can remember quite a bit of it.
Good stuff for a young boy to read.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
thanks. i'll have to look for that one, to add to my collection. ;)
one of the best that i've read? believe it or not, the canadian scouts handbook.
some people laugh when i say that, but its' a great bushcraft "campcraft" type book. :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
thanks. i'll have to look for that one, to add to my collection. ;)
one of the best that i've read? believe it or not, the canadian scouts handbook.
some people laugh when i say that, but its' a great bushcraft "campcraft" type book. :)

On the subject of books a young boy should read is My Side Of The Mountain.

That with the Biggles books my grandmother used to give me when I visited were part of the reason I read as much as I did and still do now.

Alamo

May 4, 2009
Lancashire
I also first read "My side of the mountain" at around 10 years of age.

Every once in a while since then I'd intended reading it again and finally got round to buying myself a copy as a present for my 45th. Just as I remembered it.......a very good book!

Alan

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I also first read "My side of the mountain" at around 10 years of age.

Every once in a while since then I'd intended reading it again and finally got round to buying myself a copy as a present for my 45th. Just as I remembered it.......a very good book!

Alan

That's roughly the same as me.
I read it as a kid (over and over) and loved it then read it as an adult and still liked it.
Obviously its a bit simplistic but I don't care its a great book.

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
I loved reading My Side of the Mountain at school - I think that and "Brendan Chase" and the Usborne Book of Survival were great influences on me.

Jul 10, 2008
Australia
I think the book you're looking for is "As far as my feet will carry me" by Joseph Martin Bauer. From Wikipedia:

"about German World War II prisoner of war Clemens Forell's escape from a Siberian Gulag in Soviet Union back to Germany"

May 7, 2009
Hampshire
Dont know the book you are after but I think everyone interested in survival should read "We Die Alone" by David Howarth.

I use to tell an abridged version to my students before starting Cold Weather / Winter Survival Courses - it gave them a benchmark as to what can be endured in order to survive :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Dont know the book you are after but I think everyone interested in survival should read "We Die Alone" by David Howarth.

I use to tell an abridged version to my students before starting Cold Weather / Winter Survival Courses - it gave them a benchmark as to what can be endured in order to survive :)

Hello, I've sent you a PM. Cheers Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE