TRUELY world class damascus steel blades

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's some pretty steel!

I remember Cegga sending me pictures of some Damascus rifle barrels he and his team made.....some of these smiths really are artists huh?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like this pattern ...snowflakes?

20090406-LX3-P1000447.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have - beautiful! The intricacy of the two tone stuff speaks to me most though...complex but elegant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:notworthy:

......posts 111 and 112 :drool: and my birthday's coming up, but there's no way they'll even consider another knife :sigh:
but oh, those steels are beautiful :D :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah - you should see my knives Mark - makes me blush :eek:

My Ablett is currently covered in tree sap and my Opinel is caked in beeswax! I will clean the sap off tonight and run a stone over it - but I shouldn't have pretty blades with acid etch - I would mank them up in week :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? that's such a good reason for me not to have one of those beautiful damascus blocks made into a knife :)
Mine get utterly manky. They get cleaned and stropped and wiped with an oily cloth before they get put away, right enough, but it'd be a criminal shame to get one of those muddy, sticky, sappy, and down right filthy as my others get at times :eek:

Thanks BR, best excuse yet :D

cheers,
M

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Toddy, to get a knife made with that damascus......."muddy, sticky, sappy, and down right filthy as my others get at times" :eek:
would be perfect ! and i'm sure the maker would be absolutely delighted that it is being used as it should be :)

so i reckon thats a good reason to get one :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mary, I am the living embodiment of "this is why we can't have nice things" :eek:. I do love the look of Damascus...but I know how long it would last. I bought BB a half moon turf cutter the other day - even before she used it, she asked I put a "proper" edge on it...so it went on a slack belt sander. Its sharp now...but the pretty factory finish is already gone :(

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They remind me of a Chopper Motorcycle and whilst I can appreciate the skill that's gone into making it, I don't actually want one.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
damascus (or pattern welding as I prefer to call it, since that is what it is) is a very addictive thing to make. Once you start making it and learning to develop patterns, you start to think of what to do next and pushing yourself both in design and technique. Mosaic patterns (such as the snowflakes) are getting more and more elaborate thanks to CNC waterjet cutting and powdered steels, on the most part I'm not a huge fan of the resulting patterns as they end up very busy. The addiction is normally only curbed in the skilled by lack of machinery such as various grinders, milling machines, presses and hammers.

I'm not lucky enough to have many of the toys (tools) that make pattern welding fast and economical, so I don't make a lot and stick to lower layer counts and somewhat less complicated billets. That said, I have been doing more multibar pieces because you can make small amounts of welded steel up over a long period of time and then when in the mood stick them all together into one finished piece that is far more complex than its parts.

As a maker of the stuff I love looking at other smiths pattern welded steel and trying to work out how they did it and how much material was lost through the process. There are some great bits out there, not just blades but tools, clocks, boxes, candlesticks, etc. I think its a shame that it doesn't get used for more artistic objects. Blades do get scratched, the pattern fades, etc :(

Mind you, my EDC pocket knife of the last 18 months has been a pattern welded blade with mokume (non-ferrous version of the same stuff) handle. It isn't as bold and clear as when new, but it still shows the pattern and looks ok. I'm going to make myself a new edc fixed blade for work soon, to replace my current one, and I'm thinking a multibar pattern welded piece with wrought iron and some gold and silver inlay, probably an inlayed or engraved handle too. Sure most would look at it and say that it isn't for using and is a purely decorative piece. Sod that! I know that the blade will be up to anything I will be doing with it and since I can have a blade like that, why not?! :cool: Most makers will make the blades to work as good knives, its just that the buyers are unlikely to want to scratch them

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I knocked out some simple Damascus billets at school, twisted and layered, just to understand the technique for my 'A' levels. But I have seen a shotgun with the Damascus showing the makers name repeated along the barrel like a stick of Brighton rock and I have no idea how you would do that or produce the designs above.

There are some unappreciated, highly skilled people in the world, we need an Olympics for them and some new year honours instead of the typical wasters we have now.

Superb work.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I could never justify my using a blade so beautiful as some of that work!
I do own a Damascus bladed knife and it is a "worker" not just a "user" - but it is nowhere near as pretty as any of that work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE