True Detective - Season 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You know thats one, which looked good, but I havent seen yet. Rome. I watched some of it. Didnt they stop it or something after a couple of seasons?

Sopranos, obviously. Another brilliant series. Im drawn to the darker stuff.

Ive seen Sicaro. Good film.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...You know thats one, which looked good, but I havent seen yet. Rome. I watched some of it. Didnt they stop it or something after a couple of seasons?..."

I think it just ended at the obvious point, the republic is done and Augustus becomes Caesar. I'm old enough to have watched I Claudius when it was first on and was entertained when Livia was being 'put in her place' by Augustus's mom, not a good idea I thought at the time. :)

The only TV that has bettered the Sopranos for me was 'The Wire'.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, I remember watching that too, as a kid. Can you imagine what the audiences back then would have thought of the nudity in Spartacus blood and sand!?

Im gonna watch Mr Holmes tonight. :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I think it just ended at the obvious point, the republic is done and Augustus becomes Caesar. I'm old enough to have watched I Claudius when it was first on and was entertained when Livia was being 'put in her place' by Augustus's mom, not a good idea I thought at the time. :)

The only TV that has bettered the Sopranos for me was 'The Wire'.

Finally! someone else who agrees with me about The Wire! Absolutely loved it. although, several weeks back i was getting the train from Fort William back to Perth, and there was a weegie film student sitting nearby. He spent the entire 5 hour journey analyzing the concepts and themes of The Wire, series by series, to what i beleive was a total stranger. I came very close to reaching for the Mora in my pack...

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
You know thats one, which looked good, but I havent seen yet. Rome. I watched some of it. Didnt they stop it or something after a couple of seasons?

Sopranos, obviously. Another brilliant series. Im drawn to the darker stuff.

Ive seen Sicaro. Good film.

Thanks for the link mate, will get that watched soon. Recovering from stomach surgery at the moment so have been blasting through just about every new movie and series i can find. I'm not good at staying idle

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the link mate, will get that watched soon. Recovering from stomach surgery at the moment so have been blasting through just about every new movie and series i can find. I'm not good at staying idle

Hope you recover well and quick Hamish.

If you're looking for something a bit old school and don't mind the odd fake beard then I think Centennial (1978), is still kicking 'round YouTube. One of the raft of stars is a pretty young Mark Harmon (Gibbs from NCIS). Lots of nice countryside and canoe trips.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, the Wire was excellent. [First series, second series set on the docks not as good I didnt think] YW for the link. :)

That lead detective was in that movie, Centurion. Liked that too. [Fellow Yorkshireman, from Sheffield I think]

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Finally! someone else who agrees with me about The Wire! Absolutely loved it. although, several weeks back i was getting the train from Fort William back to Perth, and there was a weegie film student sitting nearby. He spent the entire 5 hour journey analyzing the concepts and themes of The Wire, series by series, to what i beleive was a total stranger. I came very close to reaching for the Mora in my pack...

Easily the best piece of TV viewing ever, too bad one person may have been put off for life. :)

Get well soon mate.

:)

Edited to add:

Stuff to watch while on the mend, some old stuff thats worth a watch...

The World at War, the documentary series from 1973

The Death of Yugoslavia

And if these don't depress you enough...

The Provos, The Loyalists, The Brits

Quite often I'll dust off Alec Guinness's version of John LeCarre's spymaster George Smiley.

All of which appear to be available on youtube.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of my fave recent YouTube finds is The Great Martian War 1913-1917. Done like a documentry but about how WWI was a war against the Martians. Excellent doctored old footage. Really enjoyed it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
True Detective season 1 was really good. Loved the two main characters. Just watched the first episode of season 2 and looks OK, but a lot going on. Colin Farrell's character seems on the edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE