Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
What sort of trousers do you lot generally use, I've got a couple of set of walking trousers, one fleece lined the other very lightweight but ripstop and very comfortable, but they're not always the quietest of trousers whilst out.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've been using cheap combats "from the market", about £10 a pair. The last couple of pairs have only last about 6 weeks though :cry: ,the zip tags break off very easily and I keep finding long forgetten barbed wire fences when out rabbit shooting!

My wife works on the clothing desk in the local tesco and she's trying to convert me to their branded chinos, which are also about a tenner but do seem better made. I'll let you know how they work out.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Personally I like Moleskins for the cooler 6 months or so. I also use army lightwieghts but I find the thorns stick through them too easily and my legs end up like pin cushions :oops: :oops: That's another reason I like moleskins. They are a bit heavy though and I'm not sure they dry out too quickly but I use over trousers so that's not a problem for me

Cheers

Mark

Feb 5, 2004
Sorry to make this my first post.
I use German Army Mole skin pants for almost every outing trip I do.

This includes Peru, Rocky Mountains of Canada, and Arazona USA.

They work well (with under liners) in sub -40 weather. Also work in the (in my opinion ) horable jungle climates.

They also dont "zip/zop" like the UofA Combats.

But by far the "best" hot weather/jungle pants are the Canadaian issue combat pants. Only prob is they dont last to long.

Sorry to jump in like this...but thats me.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
What trouser I use depends on the activity.

If I am out in the mountains, climbing, walking or ice climbing etc I will use technical gear by the likes of North Face, Mountain Equipment or Rohan.

Rohan I always wear for travel as it is easy washed, iron free and light weight.

However, for bushcraft I use my old polycotton lightweights that I had in the Army and recently I have just started using the US Army equivalent BDU combats as they have more pockets and they come in lots of plain colours ;)
You can get them on Ebay for about £12 which is better than the £30 over here. Just watch the postage.

Richie

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Gaah - not in my size!!!!

However - on an unrelated subject - I have just found this on that site (under camping- tents/tent equipment):

DPM Basha

Large waterproof sheet with 8 webbing loops around the edge
and a central double webbing loop.
Reinforced and waterproofed on the underside.
Size 8ft x 5ft.

Product Code : BASHA-DPM1 £24.95 Inc.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i'm using portugeuse army mole skin's nice and lite but strong
only problem is you have to do time in the army to get them (or have a brother inlaw who is still serving :-D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Womble said:
Gaah - not in my size!!!!

However - on an unrelated subject - I have just found this on that site (under camping- tents/tent equipment):

DPM Basha

Large waterproof sheet with 8 webbing loops around the edge
and a central double webbing loop.
Reinforced and waterproofed on the underside.
Size 8ft x 5ft.

Product Code : BASHA-DPM1 £24.95 Inc.

Aye Womble !! They have some good prices, and their postage isn't ridiculous either :)

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I used to use army issue trousers until i discovered Jack Wolfskin Northpants a great pair of trousers more pockets than you will ever need, double knees, and made from a poly cotton material that is wind proof and water repellant to a degree. They are fairly expensive at £50 but i think they are worth it as the material is very tough and should last a long time. Check out their website - sorry dont know the address off hand.

Michael

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I use British Lightweights, they are really windproof, well I never get cold in them and they dry out pretty quick. I got them at a car boot sale !!! £3 Its an excellent place for kit !!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I thought the Royal robins 5.11 trousers were great untill i took them out into the woods

the fabric tore and snaged, the button (actually a brass popper) came off
so they fell down without a belt and they take ages to dry

the shirt seems good though

Allmi

Nov 10, 2003
Bornheim/Germany
Hi!

I used the german army moleskin for a while until i bought the Fjällräven Greenland Trousers. They are more abrasive resistant, more lightweight and dry a lot faster. The impregnation with greenland wax seems to make them wind and waterresistant to a degree. In warm and humid environment you're better off without the wax. Just wash it out and when autum comes just reimpregnate them. Lots of versatile pockets, double knee portion and straps to adjust the trouser on your angles. Best outdoor trousers i ever owned. Excellent kit IMHO, but very expensive.

Cheers
Allmi :-D

J

JeremyH

Trousers - Why Trousers?
I use a Kilt, natural, cool in summer, warm in winter. Worn with boots or
shoes.
Otherwise it's FjellRaven - expensive but well worth every penny - last pair eventually gone after 12 years of Ranger use.
If you fancy a skirt give my friend Tom a call on
www.tribaltartans.com
Mad!
:roll: JeremyH

D

Dutchman

Fjallraven Groenland pants for me. Either with or without wax.

But if I had lots of dollars I would get myself this http://www.filson.com/vipants.htm
with leather binding of course :cool:

"Might as well get the best"

Cheaper alternative: carpenter pants

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE