Tripod head question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Ok guys, so I am going to invest in a new tripod; the Manfrotto 055XPROB.

The question is, what tripod head would you recommend. I am looking at a Ball head probably. At the moment my eye is on the Manfrotto 498RC2 or 496RC2. Any opinions on these two, which is best? Or do you have different heads in mind.

Cheers.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
I have a manfrotto with a ball head and couldn't think of a better head.
You can lock them for panning and zooming and when running free they catch everything (if you are fast enough)
sorry I don't know what model mine is but it's light and folds very small

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Tripod selection depends greatly on the size and weight of the camera on top of it.

This is very true the weight limit of the legs and head of your tripod need to be up to holding your camera.

It is also true that what you shoot has a part to play in head choice. Many landscape togs like the Manfroto geared heads.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Cheers guys. As I am not specifically a landscape photographer I was hoping for something that does afew things, including landscapes to some extent. It will primarily be used to hold my 4x5 camera.

If you mean 5" x 4" camera i.e. something like...

Sinar_P.jpg

or

IMG_1234CS1823.JPG

Then you need something really heavy, like a big Gitzo Studex pod with a chunky pan and tilt head. No quick release heads that I know of will keep a 5x4 stationary...

mI0hoLtbQFaoxX54x9yp9WA.jpg

Heavy kit to hike with. Or you could follow the philosophy of Edward Weston...

"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic."

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Go to a shop and try that camera on some heads I think as I suspect as DavidTJ you will need something sturdy with good control over movement.

Cheers guys. As I am not specifically a landscape photographer I was hoping for something that does afew things, including landscapes to some extent. It will primarily be used to hold my 4x5 camera.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE