Tripod for over the fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
So after a weekend trying to cook on a camp fire with normal camping stuff I decided to try to make a cheap tripod affair.

Found 3 road pins and some old chain. After a bit of whacking and drilling I made this...

IMG_5519b.JPG

IMG_5520b.JPG

IMG_5518b.JPG

IMG_5513b.JPG

I made a poker/potlifter from some 6mm rod and an old handle I found in the shed. My Father had these handles made many moons ago to replace old chisel handles, but sadly they outlasted him. I discovered them today and found a use for one. Will need some finishing and a Ferrel for the end.

Now I neeed a fire to test it.. oh and some proper hanging pots, this one is one I made for my first hobo stove

Nick

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Nick,

That's a nice tripod, and a great idea to make one on a budget, hadn't thought of using a ring to retain the legs. My mates and I all have tripods and all the legs are looped together at the top by each leg laving an eye like a needle, but your idea is much simpler and less faffy. Occasionally put two together to act as the basis for a spit roast.

As I say, nice wourk, and unless you start selling them I can see some-one else following your design and doing it, it's too simple not too.

Happy cooking,
Goatboy.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I already have two road pins and am looking for a third, as I had in mind trying to do likewise, and had been hoping I could just hook a suitable size ring over the lamp hook.......but that's a rather cleaver use of the existing construction!

Well done mate.

Smoggy.

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
No the ring is fixed into the necks of the pins.

I drilled out a hole, then prised the necks apart, the tension holds the ring in, it doesn't come out.

If you lift it, the whole lot just folds flat, 3 pins next to each other. They seem to sit nicely in a tripod. I hooked a chain onto the ring with a caribiner and used some S hooks for the pot hook. Im not equipped for making my own ring, I bought it from B&Q.

Nick

My tripod is made with folding legs, they started life as car jack handles, I'm not sure if any UK cars use these. you only need a light chain we regularly hang a one gallon coffee pot over the fire with mine. this isnt a good picture, it was taken at a rendezvous.
``Monk``
FortUnion08017.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE