Trip Report: Round the Island

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Well Joost and I decided to go for a little walk today. In fact, we were gone for 9 houres straight, and walked the entire circumference of the island. In total, we walked about 30 km, spending 2 of the 9 houres cooking our food.
This is one of the awesome views we had:

2012-11-27 11.12.52 by Sami knives, on Flickr

We tried to light the fire by bow drill, succeeded to light the tinder but failed to ignite the kindling. Still aspiring to light the fire in a traditional way, I resorted to my flint and steel, and we succesfully cooked our mussels and oysters after all.

2012-11-27 11.44.21 by Sami knives, on Flickr

Joost had brought some pre-cooked chicken as well, which you can see laying on the fire here:

2012-11-27 12.21.40 by Sami knives, on Flickr

This is Usko, he is remarkably interested in the fire when there is food being cooked above and under it.

2012-11-27 12.46.32 by Sami knives, on Flickr

After walking those 30 kilometers, our legs are pretty beat up and the dog's not doing much anymore either.

2012-11-27 13.32.00 by Sami knives, on Flickr

We had a great time, that's for sure.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Sometimes you just can't beat a long day out with man's best friend!!
Thank's for sharing, it's given me some good bimbling ideas!!
Usko looks like an amazing dog!

RM

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Is that an old volcano site?? the ground looks like what was once molten larvae.

usko is cool:)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Is that an old volcano site?? the ground looks like what was once molten larvae.

usko is cool:)

No, I'd wish! It's dried up asfalt that's poured of the dike. I have no idea why it's there. It looks out of place, almost as if the spilled it from a truck when they where reinforcing the sea barriers.

@ Bushcraftsman

Usko is a Finnish Lapphund:) They're not many of them, actually apart from his mother and siblings I've only seen one.
I read the estimate is there are only 300 of them in the Netherlands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE