Tricks of the Trade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
And how conscious is the chicken with its brain stem removed?
Twaddle!

Burnt Ash

It depends where the head is removed, just on how much the brainstem remains, a chicken can run about for days before they either bleed to death or starve to death. (Mike the headless chicken lived months) stun a chicken (causing permanent damage the brain), and then remove the head, high up and the chicken does not run about. Chop off the head,( in the same place as the stunned chicken) and sometimes the chicken can move for hours.

Washing up sucks:puppy_dog but cool ash from the fire rubbed into your cooking and eating ware then rinsed in water works a treat, it's really good for getting shot of greasy residue. However the addage 'hands that do dishes can be soft as your face' does not hold true when washing pots this way.

If and when things start to go horribly wrong as soon as circumstances permit STOP and brew up,
It's not that a nice cup of tea makes everything ok, it's more that doing something you are in control of alters your perspective and makes other BIGGER problems less daunting and more dealable with.

Cheers Tim:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Free bump for this thread, was going great before it ran off like a headless chicken :rolleyes:

First Aid kits - Check the contents before you leave. Only ever store it in your kit where you can access it quickly and easily and also preferably using only one hand.

Packing your kit in the order that it will come out of the bag and storing your dry kit and sleeping bag inside your bivi bag. A good quality binbag or two weigh nothing and have multitude of uses.

You never have enough water.

You never have enough beer :eek:

Mang

Settler
Keep a bit of wire in your pack, a wire coat hanger is perfect. This can be used for many things.

My non-chicken two pennenth-I like using a wire coathanger as a pot by bending the hook and corners down a making a tin foil 'pot' in the middle and then using in the embers.

Also, try Hen Harrier as a oft overlooked camp food...Oh wait a minute, you need to be a prince for that- >:-(

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
I have stroped, honed, or steeled on a wire fence and on a old rifle barrel. (A very old rifle) A wooden broomstick. Cardboard and my palm.

A you guys will know the right tree/stick to use for your neck of the woods ( I'm in Australia) but a pencil sharpener makes excellent tinder.

A paper lunch bag quarter filled with water then the top of the bag wrapped tightly around a thumb sized stick then held over the fire. Provided the flames don't go above the water line in the bag will boil without burning. Great trick for kids.

When blowing a coal into a flame hold the bundle of tinder above your head. It stops the smoke rising into your face.

Carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE