Tricks of the Trade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
A small roll of gaffa tape can replace the following things in your medical kit (for a short trip):
blister dressings (even all plasters if you're not more than a day away)
styptic
triangular bandage
splints (need to have access to sticks though)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Eric - does this work on stomache upsets?

I'd say if your stomach's working overtime (ie. moving when shouldn't) gaffa tape will do a pretty good job of stopping it.

And if it's not going, I suspect WD40 will get things going from both ends.

I suspect, however, that the long-term health effects of either 'treatment' might outweigh any short-term benefits.:D

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
For repelling all mossie type insects raid the missuses (does this word exist?) make up and nick her Avon moisturising cream.

Apparantly only avon brand works - some mysterious combination of chemicals.

No bites and you come back looking 10 years younger

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Hello! I worked on a farm for many years as a boy and the farmer's wife had a neat trick she said she had learned from an old Polish farmer. She would pith the chicken with an ice pick before taking the head off. The chicken would poof all out like a cold bird. The meat was as tender as could be and the feathers pull out by the handfulls. Kind of gruesome, but highly effective!

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Stupid question, I know, but how do you knock out a chicken?

Two ways:

1. Talk to it about this thread and it will doze off, or

2. Hit it with an object, like a truncheon sized piece of wood or a wooden spoon - remember you are trying to knock it out and not brain it.

I know that commercial chicken operations use an electric zap to stun them.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
What have I started, I think a few of us need some out therpy the winter cabin fever has come somewhat early this year:rolleyes:

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Robert, I first saw Mother demonstrate this back in 1968 at the Hameln Military Training Area. We were visiting the exercise for the day when a headless chicken came running from a mess tent chased by a cook. Eventually the hapless cook caught the hen which had finally dropped from terminal decapitation.

My mother saw the baskets of live chickens all awaiting the same treatment. As she had spent some of her formative years working on a farm and then as head cook in a Sergeants Mess [where she met dad] she offered to show the cooks how to kill and prepare fresh chicken properly. The offer was gratefully accepted.

You basically just whack the chicken on the head with a blunt instruement and then decapitate it..........unconscious chickens don't run. Dunking the chicken in hot water quickly makes it easier to pluck.

And how conscious is the chicken with its brain stem removed?
Twaddle!

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE