Trekking poles - Mountain King?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Im looking to buy my first pair of trekking poles to relieve my aching knee.

Ideally i would want to buy them from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk as i am ordering other items too and would like to save on shipping.

Ive been looking at the Mountain King Carbon Expedition poles - lightweight poles at a reasonable cost compared to the other offerings from Black Diamond and Leki.

Anyone own a pair and can vouch for them? Or do you recommend another brand?

Thanks,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Pacer Poles are worth a look, a different hand posture means you can go all day without tiring. I went for the heavier ally ones because I wanted a bit more strength with my Trailstar, at 650g a pair they're not too heavy, only 150 more than the carbons anyway.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I rate my Leki AS Thermolites.

I've bent the lighter Ti versions and daren't take my carbon Leki's out for fear of breaking them.

Thre heavier ally ones are bombproof. The 'Thermolite' bit is the grip material-its super insulating and If i'm holding the poles, I can take strong winds at v low temps without donning gloves. It really works.

If I was buying again, I'd seriously look at the Pacers Shewie suggested.

I wouldn't be witout poles now, they're a massive bonus on so many counts when trekking.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Apart from holding a tarp up...

What are the benefits of walking poles? I might consider getting some:crutch:If they save a few aches and pains.

CHEERS !!:)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I can vouch for pacerpoles as well, tried a few types now and pacer poles have been about the best. Lots of information on poles on the web some good some you take with a pinch of salt, they can transfer up to 25% of the weight through to your upper body and definitely give you more drive, for me it's all about coming down hills, taking some of the pressure off of my knees - although working on quads has helped this as well.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston

What are the benefits of walking poles? I might consider getting some:crutch:If they save a few aches and pains.

I used to scoff at poles when I was younger and fitter Now I wont do a hill walk without them and often on a woods walk will cut a stick for the same benefits
For me the difference is tangible between a few days of aching knees and no discomfort at all
They are also useful in boggy or uneven ground and for steep descents. And the ability to poke things is very useful as well
I personally dont buy all the Leki advertising and I dont use 2 poles get a Eurohike top of the range one at Milletts http://www.millets.co.uk/product/11A048/eh-expedition-anitsh-assorted-0.html for a fraction of the price

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

These are the benefits I get from Hiking poles in the hills, others experiences may vary;

I can walk for longer.
My knees feel much better on a long descent.
I can look around as I walk, knowing that if I stumble I'm not going to fall over as the poles will stop that.
Dodgy stream crossings are easier and safer.
I can probe dodgy soft ground before crossing it.
Great at warding off dogs that look like they want a chew on my leg.
Hold my tarp up, saving on tarp poles
Steep slippy uphills are much easier with 4 legs than 2
Long ascents are easier and quicker
They give grip on sheet ice
I walk more upright when carrying a heavy winter pack
My bad back is cured (recurring slipped disc)every time by using poles, because I'm using my lower back and stomach muscles to propel me. Its like free physio : )
Cures my tennis elbow too, especially my antishock sticks. The rigids not so much.

I'm a massive fan of them, they make a big difference to me. My hands feel 'lost' now if I've not got them on a long walk. It seems completely natural to have them.

These are just my experiences, others seem to just find them a pain.

The downsides are that they get in the way for really steep stuff and need stashing
They're not much use in thin paths through undergrowth
The click click sound can be annoying as they hit rocks.
Expensive (unless you get them in a sale-I paid £25 for my Leki's
You really need 2, using just one doesn't give any where near as many benefits.

Just my honest opinion on them :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Been using the Black Mountain Trail Shock Trekking Pole for a couple of years now .

Chose this model as it has the flick lock rather than the twist type release, also wnted to try the shock system as it tends to be very rocky where i walk.
Only downside is they're heavy compared to many others i've tried at 590g.

Upside is the clamp system takes all my 13 stone without budging an inch, yet they're still really easy and quick to release even with 1 hand,
The handle is comfortable and wears very well and the strap is fantastic.
They also collapse small enough to stuff out the way when not needed.

I probably wouldn't buy the shock version again but i would certainly buy Black Mountain with the Click Lock system again though.

bd20trail20shock20poles.jpg

In use

IMG_1336.jpg

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I have a pair of the Mountain King Expedition Carbon poles. I think I got them from backpackinglight.co.uk a few years ago.
I don't get out walking anywhere near enough but I always take them with me when I do.

Very happy with them so far.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
These are the benefits I get from Hiking poles in the hills, others experiences may vary;

I can walk for longer.
My knees feel much better on a long descent.
I can look around as I walk, knowing that if I stumble I'm not going to fall over as the poles will stop that.
Dodgy stream crossings are easier and safer.
I can probe dodgy soft ground before crossing it.
Great at warding off dogs that look like they want a chew on my leg.
Hold my tarp up, saving on tarp poles
Steep slippy uphills are much easier with 4 legs than 2
Long ascents are easier and quicker
They give grip on sheet ice
I walk more upright when carrying a heavy winter pack
My bad back is cured (recurring slipped disc)every time by using poles, because I'm using my lower back and stomach muscles to propel me. Its like free physio : )
Cures my tennis elbow too, especially my antishock sticks. The rigids not so much.

I'm a massive fan of them, they make a big difference to me. My hands feel 'lost' now if I've not got them on a long walk. It seems completely natural to have them.

These are just my experiences, others seem to just find them a pain.

The downsides are that they get in the way for really steep stuff and need stashing
They're not much use in thin paths through undergrowth
The click click sound can be annoying as they hit rocks.
Expensive (unless you get them in a sale-I paid £25 for my Leki's
You really need 2, using just one doesn't give any where near as many benefits.

Just my honest opinion on them :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna give them a whirl ! :)goodjob

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Cork is really comfortable but i wore out a cork handle in a years hiking a few years back.

Another thing to consider is the strap.
It looks like the strap is just a piece of cord on those Pacer poles, in my experience this will leave you with sore hands and forearms on long walks.

With a decent pole it will have a decent hefty strap, on the Black Mountain poles this strap is wide and strong, the knack is to tighten the strap till your wrist rests on it with your hand on the handle, this way you really don't need to grip the handle much at all, it's just loose in your fingers.

It also helps on rough ground, as with my older pole that had no strap when i tripped i automatically let go of the handle, with the strap you release the handle but your hand still stays on the pole to hold you up.

Crap description (it's late and it's been a long day guys sorry) but hopefully you can get the gist.

*edit
Since shewie's explanation please disregard the strap remarks above.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cork is really comfortable but i wore out a cork handle in a years hiking a few years back.

Another thing to consider is the strap.
It looks like the strap is just a piece of cord on those Pacer poles, in my experience this will leave you with sore hands and forearms on long walks.

The straps are not required in use, the leverage comes from the angle of the handles rather than straps like conventional poles. They can be used for security rather than aiding the walking. Think of the Pacer cords as a way to free your hands up without putting pole down, or to stop you dropping one if you catch the tip in a hole or rock. I link both pole cords together and drop them over the top of my pack if I need my hands free for dodgy descents and ascents.

It's a slightly different technique with the Pacers, some would say better and less tiring, but they are definitely more than decent poles. The support you get with the fatter straps on conventional poles, at the bottom of the hand, is provided by the grip on the Pacers. Hands are actually over the top of the pole rather than to one side, hence no requirement for a fatter strap.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The straps are not required in use, the leverage comes from the angle of the handles rather than straps like conventional poles. They can be used for security rather than aiding the walking. Think of the Pacer cords as a way to free your hands up without putting pole down, or to stop you dropping one if you catch the tip in a hole or rock. I link both pole cords together and drop them over the top of my pack if I need my hands free for dodgy descents and ascents.

It's a slightly different technique with the Pacers, some would say better and less tiring, but they are definitely more than decent poles. The support you get with the fatter straps on conventional poles, at the bottom of the hand, is provided by the grip on the Pacers. Hands are actually over the top of the pole rather than to one side, hence no requirement for a fatter strap.

Looks like i misjudged them, i take back my statement on decent poles having a thick strap.

Out of curiosity i've just sent Pacerpole an email to see if they will sell me only a right hand pole.

Thanks for the explanation and putting me right
thumb-up.gif

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

I was unsure like you, so i got a cheap pair from tkmaxx, well worth the £7(should appeal to you as a Yorkshireman lol !)i paid, now i won't do a long walk or carry a pack without them.
With retirement looming i may invest in a decent pair to see me into my twilight years, "ee when i were a lad..."

Rob

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I was unsure like you, so i got a cheap pair from tkmaxx, well worth the £7(should appeal to you as a Yorkshireman lol !)i paid, now i won't do a long walk or carry a pack without them.
With retirement looming i may invest in a decent pair to see me into my twilight years, "ee when i were a lad..."

Rob

£7 sounds expensive Rob !:lmao:, Cheers !:)

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I bought the flicklock Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork poles. I was hoping I would get them by this Saturday, as I'm leaving on a 3-day trip on Sunday, but with it being Easter and all it looks like I won't be receiving them in time.

Thanks for all your input. I'll let you know what I think off them once I've had a chance to try them out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE