Trek-Direct / Scotia Outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Does anyone use this company?

I ordered a tarp from them on the 26th of December - paypal processed that day.
Eventually managed to get a hold of someone on the 7th January for an update, promised the tarp the following week - Have heard nothing since and can't get hold of anyone - been phoning all week, unable to leave messages, no other contact number.

Starting to think I've been taken for a ride. I'm gonna give them till next Wednesday need to try & get my money back via paypal - although gawd knows how long that might take.

Just a warning to folk to be wary.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I ordered a Tarp from them in the Summer. They do not hold everything in stock (I think that they say that on the website). They ordered it from Germany and then it arrived about 4 weeks later. So I got it. I had to wait. But they did email me and explain when I queried a 'no-show' on the tarp after a couple of weeks. This might be the case this time:thinkerg:

As for my personal experience with Trek Direct / Scotia Outdoors - I have never experienced a problem and have been happy with the products I have purchased.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've used them too, took a while for my stuff to arrive even though they had the stock. Emails were a little slow in being answered but generally helpful, would use them again but not for anything I needed urgently.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its the same company as survival school IIRC. You might try that as a line of enquiry.
I don't think they are anymore ..... they were at one time though ;) So probably best not bug survival school if its nothing to do with them.

Ed

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
I am waiting for a tarp myself and it all seems a little slow,they have not answered e-mails either,can`t help getting a bad feeling about it.They have my money through paypal as well.Having delt with other firms who sell the sort of stuff we buy I find it a bit disapointing.
Litefoot.:(

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
I am waiting for a tarp myself and it all seems a little slow,they have not answered e-mails either,can`t help getting a bad feeling about it.They have my money through paypal as well.Having delt with other firms who sell the sort of stuff we buy I find it a bit disapointing.
Litefoot.:(

It will certainly be the last time they get any of my hard earned.

Have cancelled 2 weekends away because of their tardiness in delivering the tarp (the old one leaks like a sieve - and with he weather we have been having, there was no way I was going without a shelter).

As I say, they have till Wednesday to respond otherwise I will be raising a complaint via Paypal.

I could see the point if their prices were really good - the only reason they got my business because they appear to be Scottish based.

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
same thing happend to me, took 3 months to get here! but it did get here in the end, i dont think the company is dodgy, but i wont be using them again as their service is a disgrace. only recived two emails off them in 3 months!

leon-1

I don't think they are anymore ..... they were at one time though ;) So probably best not bug survival school if its nothing to do with them.

Ed

Quite correct mate, Drew and Johnny went their seperate ways a while ago now.

I have dealt with Trek Direct and Scotia Outdoors under their respective trading names, but nevertheless the same company. From both the service was Okay, infact when I originally dealt with them years ago the service was exemplary.

Seems a shame to see their service becoming less reliable.

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
I have used them many times in past and good service.Even ordered things for me that they dont normally stock. As to being slagged off about 2 outings lost due to not receiving a tarp-maybe the purchaser should have ensured they had the item in stock before commiting himself in a position where time was of the essence-PLANNING !

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
I have used them many times in past and good service.Even ordered things for me that they dont normally stock. As to being slagged off about 2 outings lost due to not receiving a tarp-maybe the purchaser should have ensured they had the item in stock before commiting himself in a position where time was of the essence-PLANNING !
i am struggling to find any element of "slagging off" I was told that it would be with me in 7 days & planned accordingly. Naively, I tend to trust people at their word. Maybe the poster should read the original post - SPECSAVERS

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I have ordered from them in the past with no problems at all. Many times when they were Verdant. Ltd and again as scotia outdoors and found the communication fine. I will admit that their delivery times could do with a bit of a kick up the bum but i've never had to wait more than 7/10 days for anything. The quality and prices are great so i'm not complaining at all. If you guys remember 10/15 years back, anything mail order was a fortune for postage and 'up to 28 days for delivery' was standard parctice.
From reading the post I understand the two guys have gone seperate ways and i wish them all the best. I hope things get sorted out with them in the future.
We all know how things went with another certain good outdoor supply company recently and i'd hate to see these guys get the same kind of slating that that person did as it can only make things worse for them, I'd advise taking any dispute up with them and at least waiting for a reply without bad mouthing on here, it aint happened yet but just in case ;) . Anyway, that's my tuppence worth. cheers :D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Keep it polite guys.

Just read the original post and it didn't seem to be slagging off in anyway, just stating facts and asking if anyone else had problems.

Matt

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
I had an outstanding order with Drew at Scotia as detailed in an earlier post on this thread and with no sign or hope of goods being delivered Drew offered me a refund.Good man thought I.All has since gone quiet and I have reluctantly opened a dispute procedure with paypal.
I know that some folk have dealt with Scotia and got good service however I suppose the saying buyer beware applies here.
Litefoot:(

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I had an outstanding order with Drew at Scotia as detailed in an earlier post on this thread and with no sign or hope of goods being delivered Drew offered me a refund.Good man thought I.All has since gone quiet and I have reluctantly opened a dispute procedure with paypal.
I know that some folk have dealt with Scotia and got good service however I suppose the saying buyer beware applies here.
Litefoot:(

That's a shame. It is always sad to see these kind of things happen. Even more so when you think a resolution is at hand then .. nothing. Well at least this thread has made me decide not to get their 'Pocket Cooker' either from their site or Ebay.

Good luck with your refund.

Nag.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Stop press.Refund has been paid.......I`m just glad to get my money back.I hope anyone else who deals with Scotia has more luck than me and that they get through whatever dificulties they have soon.
Litefoot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE