Trees and their uses

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Well I'm up for it Red looks like I will be off work for a while torn a cartlidge in my knee so I'm house bound at the mo.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Falling Rain & Bushcraftbob,

i live just outside Oxford, and would love to come along if you have the time and space. Could you let me now when please.
Also have access to a local wood to me, it's open to the public, but only the very local people know of it and use it.

WM

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Falling Rain & Bushcraftbob,

i live just outside Oxford, and would love to come along if you have the time and space. Could you let me now when please.
Also have access to a local wood to me, it's open to the public, but only the very local people know of it and use it.

WM

Of course you'd be welcome Wolf man. The more the merrier.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
First three are up ganstey - when those three are correctly guessed I'll do some more (there seems to be a real strugle on #2 right now :))

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Of course you'd be welcome Wolf man. The more the merrier.

Just spotted this thread. Would be good to meet up with some of the Oxfordshire lot. Bagley Woods are good (though being University owned there is restriction on what you can do but they are mixed woodland so there are lots of different tree types - found two massive outcrops of honey fungus there a couple of weeks ago). Also lots of deer, so they are good if you want to look at tracking.

A good public access wood is Radley Large Wood - again has some deer. I'm not sure whether or not this is a nature reserve, but there's certainly lots of evidence of, shall we say, human activity (coppicing and other evidence of woodland management, and of course some litter) but when I've been there recently I haven't seen many people.

The other good locations are the nature reserves in Dry Sandford - there's some wetland, nature reserve woodland, and open access woodland. Spotted someone coppicing there the other day for hazel wands.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I sometimes go for a mooch around Wytham although trouble with that is you have to stick to the rides and cant actually get in to the thick of the woods :-(

Also visited Youlbury a couple of times.

One of my colleagues worked at the field station in Wytham and knows the head woodsman well. I'll make some enquiries. But, as I said in a previous post, Bagley is much less controlled about where you can wander.

I've got a contact in the local beavers so I could make some enquiries about what can be done at Youlbury as a non-scout.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE