Trees and their uses

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Id like to learn what different trees can offer in bushcraft / survival situations, can anyone recommend any good websites or books? Or maybe we could start a thread where everyone chips in a bit and shares their knowledge of each tree?

I remember watching a RM episode where he refers to all the different trees being "friends" and that every tree has a different use and I would like to learn more, as well as being able to distinguish which tree is which.

EG: Willow - bark can be used to make cordage, flexible branches can be used to make benders / shelters, bark contains aspirin, good bow drill wood etc etc.

cheers guys (and gals)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Id like to learn what different trees can offer in bushcraft / survival situations, can anyone recommend any good websites or books? Or maybe we could start a thread where everyone chips in a bit and shares their knowledge of each tree?

I remember watching a RM episode where he refers to all the different trees being "friends" and that every tree has a different use and I would like to learn more, as well as being able to distinguish which tree is which.

EG: Willow - bark can be used to make cordage, flexible branches can be used to make benders / shelters, bark contains aspirin, good bow drill wood etc etc.

cheers guys (and gals)

I see you're in Oxfordshire, If you want to go out for a stroll one day I can teach you a bit if you like.?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Spruce, cordage from roots, resin as glue.

Lime, inner bark for cordage, nice for carving.

Sycamore, carving and at a push tree sap.

Wych elm, great instant cordage.

Chestnut, carving, leaves for soap.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Well I cant comment on bushcraft but for medicinal purposes the best book I can think to suggest is ‘Bartram’s Encyclopaedia of Herbal Medicine’. Many of the books require you to know the Latin names of the plants but this one allows you to search by the common name. It doesn’t go into gigantic detail about the science and many of the words are also explained. It also lists herbs and diseases which are easy to search.
Another book I think is lovely is A Modern Herbal by Grieve. It has an abundance of information about the traditional uses of the herbs. There are some bigger words in it but many of them you can look up in Bartram’s. I’d only get this one of you plan to sit down and read about the trees and plants. Also you may want to get a good book for identifying the trees as Bartram’s does not cover this..

I’ll list a few trees below but I am omitting any which are contraindicated at all as those should be used under the observation of a trained Herbalist. I am not claiming these herbs cure the listed diseases, only that they can be effective in treating them. Please do not take the information in place of medical advice from a professional.

Silver Birch - Betula alba

Parts Used: Mainly young leaves and bark, also sap from leaf buds.
Harvested: In spring
Minerals: Potassium, calcium and Phosphrorus.
Main use: Improves excretion of waste metabolites from the liver and kidney. Also anti-inflammatory action.
Again in English: Rheumatism, gout, arthritis, and inflammatory skin conditions.
Application:
Tea (to be used internally or externally) 1 teaspoon of dried leaves to each cup of boiling water, infuse for 15mins and strain.
Dose: Drink 3 wineglasses worth spaced throughout the day.

Willow – Salix Alba

Parts Used: The bark.
Harvested: Collected from the young branches during spring and summer.
Main use: As an analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
Again in English: Pain, rheumatism, fever, common cold, mild headache.
Application: Simmer half a teaspoon of dried bark per cup of water for 1 minute. Allow to stand for 15 minutes and strain.
Dose: 1/2 a cup.

Lime – Tillia x vulgaris

Part Used: Flowers
Harvested: Early summer
Main Use: Diaphoretic, hypotensive and spasmolytic.
Again in English: Mainly hyperextension, varicose veins, insomnia, restlessness, skin conditions and fevers. Also catarrh, coughs, colds and migraine.
Application: Add 1 teaspoon of dried flowers per cup of boiled water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before straining.
Dose: One cup at a time. Max 2-4g three times a day

Elder – Sambucus nigra

Part Used: Flowers in early summer or berries in autumn. Inner bark spring before leaves appear. Leaves in spring.
Main use:
Flowers - Diaphoretic, diuretic, anticatarrhal, anti-inflammatory.
Bark and Berries – Laxative, anti-inflammatory, diuretic.
Leaves – Anti-inflammatory, diuretic.
Again in English: colds, sinusitis, feverishness, lung congestion, coughs, constipation. Also rheumatism and sciatica.
DO NOT EAT THE BERRIES RAW in large quantities they will cause nausia and vomiting.
Vitamins: Fruit very high in vitamin C.
Minerals: Flowers rich in minerals especially potassium.
Application: Flowers can be eaten raw. Berries should be boiled and best served warm.

Theres loads more but I've run out of time. Also theres all the plants too. Let me know if you would like any more information.

Charlotte

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yeah that'd be cool where is your stompin' ground??

Any where you like really. I usually go to Shotover or Whittenham clumps, or sometimes over to Princes Risborough If I've got transport. It'd have to be a weekend when I'm off work and probably not before Christmas as I'm working and am in Scotland in a few weeks time. We can arrange something for the new year if you like. Maybe some of the other Oxfordshire lot want to come along and we can make a mini-meetup of it?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
thats sounds great, i know DGCALVERT is from Oxon area too so perhaps he may be interested. We could go for a forage and look for some spring greens n stuff too.

I went to Shotver in August found a huge chicken of the woods. I sometimes go for a mooch around Wytham although trouble with that is you have to stick to the rides and cant actually get in to the thick of the woods :-(

Also visited Youlbury a couple of times.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
With wych elm just strip the bark straight off and cut into thinner lengths. Recenly made a bender shelter using only wych elm bark as cordage and its wonderful stuff. Its not as fancy as platting and weaving lime, nettle and willow etc but its quick and strong.

Wych elm is easy to spot as the top of the leaves are like sand paper. I have an elm PDF kicking around that describes the different UK elms. If you want it sending over just PM me your email address.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
thats sounds great, i know DGCALVERT is from Oxon area too so perhaps he may be interested. We could go for a forage and look for some spring greens n stuff too.

I went to Shotver in August found a huge chicken of the woods. I sometimes go for a mooch around Wytham although trouble with that is you have to stick to the rides and cant actually get in to the thick of the woods :-(

Also visited Youlbury a couple of times.

Great stuff. We'll arrange something in the new year. :) Buckshot is from Oxford too and a few others so we'll post it up and see what happens. :)

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I know its my own website but I have started to compile a database of information relating to tree/wood uses and general bushcraft. http://bcd.awardspace.info/ (it wont work without the http:// prefix). I started the website after a similar thread to this which I cant find at the mo. If I find it I will let you know, I might have a copy on my hard drive.

Spark

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If its of any interest I started a bit of a challenge on another forum where I would publish photographs of leaf, bark, whole tree and fruits / flowers where appropriate and challenge people to identify them. Once it had been identified I would list its name and uses. Happy to reproduce a few over here if its of interest?

Red

If its of any interest I started a bit of a challenge on another forum where I would publish photographs of leaf, bark, whole tree and fruits / flowers where appropriate and challenge people to identify them. Once it had been identified I would list its name and uses. Happy to reproduce a few over here if its of interest?

Red

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me Red
Tim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE