Tree treasure hunt for my scouts

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Here is a list I have compiled for a scouting tree identification treasure hunt that I will be getting my scouts to have fun with this week.
Now I'm fairly sure I have identified the trees correctly but would appreciate any comments. Also the last image was one small tree or possibly shrub, I thought it may be related to a laurel but as it was fairly young and only about 5-6ft high and not very dense I am unsure so any suggestions please shout.

This is the first time I have shared a link on Dropbox so hope this works (it's a word doc btw)

Curbridge Nature Reserve Tree list

Thanks

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I couldn't tell you about the maturity, but you may well be right. If it is cherry laurel the leaves should smell like Almonds when you crush them due to the cyanogenic glycosides that it contains, these also make it really quite poisonous. The berries are tasty looking juicy little black things, well worth being aware of if you have youngsters on the site.

HTH

Stuart.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Thanks, not sure about the smell as the sample I have is drying out as it was picked earlier today, but it has a very tough solid leaf which I would associate with Laurel.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It might just be a young laurel....cherry laurels often have darker leaves but hard to be sure from the photo. All of the laurel family contain cyanide...don't stand in the smoke if you're burning it lol :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE