tree recognition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anshutz1

Jun 20, 2011
herefordshire
Hi Folks, recently asked advice about "which" pocket knife and had loads of help and advice from other members. Now want to know "which" is the best book on tree recognition? Always wanted to be able to tell each tree from another and would also want to know which wood best for burning and how long to store...... Tried books over the years, but never quite the right one. If I was honest, would prefer one I could carry with me, but thats a lot to ask in one go....Cheers in advance:confused:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not sure where you are, guessing UK. I totally agree with BR about the collins book it is good stuff....don't dismiss the collin gem books however, they are small and fit into a pocket, for when you are out and about. I even keep the full "Nature" gem set in the car and have found them useful when ID'ing. Plus at only a couple of quid not to pricey :)

The Roger Phillip books are pretty good as well but tend to be a bit more expensive as they are full colour almost A4(ish) size.

Another way is to see if any of your local Rangers or wildlife trusts are doing a tree ID walk. We do free ones at work from time to time and focus on teaching people how to identify the different species along with any folk lore/uses the tree might have.

hope that helps....

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE