Tree Planting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Small event held today at the lakes i help look after, planting 210 trees along our boundary to reestablish an ancient hedge line and secure our boundary with the lane to stop people nipping through holes in the hedge to have a sneaky and illegal fish, trees are so much nicer than wire or even worse, barbed wire, to secure the boundary.

Trees planted were Hazel, Blackthorn, Rowan. Crab Apple & Elder, we also planted some Dog Rose in amongst the existing trees, the trees came from the Woodland Trust free of charge, the pack we chose was the natural harvest, as not only do all of these species already grow onsite, but once established this hedge line will be a mass of blossom in the spring for the bees and insects and a full of fruits for the animals & birds (and perhaps the fishermen) in the autumn.

This site was once a brick works that was started in 1920 and ceased working back in the 60's, it totals 7.5 acres and has six ponds on site (coarse fishing, catch and release), we redeveloped the ponds back in 2005 - 2008 and have since planted over 1200 trees on site, with more to come next year. It works out that for each six inch or greater diameter tree we removed (mainly Willow & Birch), its been replaced with five trees of varying species, some of which we bought in, some we raised ourselves from seed in our own tree nursery and some like today, were supplied from third parties.

Unfortunately continued poor health stopped me getting up there myself, but, i shall see it grow & mature over the coming years.

Pulborough AS Tree Planting 16-11-2019 (3) by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds excellent :D A healthy mix of native trees really does make a beautiful hedge, especially if it's entangled with rose, honeysuckle and the like too.
Will you plant native bulbs along it too ?

M

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That sounds excellent :D A healthy mix of native trees really does make a beautiful hedge, especially if it's entangled with rose, honeysuckle and the like too.
Will you plant native bulbs along it too ?

M

Lots of bulbs in the hedge line already, Daffs, Cyclamen and Grape Hyacinth that someone dumped up there many years ago, its a riot of yellow early season, then it all turns blue with the Bluebells, then it goes pink & red with Foxgloves, Campions etc.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A great project, fantastic. I'm sorry you couldn't make it yourself - I wish you all the best in your recovery so you can get up and see it.

Thankee, i shall get there in the end, it's been a long, slow journey, but im on the up and i miss my chainsaws.

Its a beautiful place, we have 129 species of native plants & trees and 69 species of birds including migrants.

Insects, small mammals (wanted & unwanted) abound, we had Grass snakes up there this year for the first time in ages and we have a healthy population of Frogs, Toads & Newts (hence the Grass Snakes), one of the ponds last year was black with tadpoles, then the anglers moaned because they couldn't catch, doh, i wonder why :D

The only thing that stopped me today was the damp, makes me quite uncomfortable and i didnt see the point of sitting in a wet, drafty car park catching cold, ive been up there a lot this year and when the cold, crisp winter days come after Christmas (hopefully) i can get back up there and sit by the bonfire.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE