Tree Identification (edible berries?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Bromsgrove (South Birmingham)
Walking home i found this tree and was wondering whether its berries are edible.

The leafs have quite a plasticy feel and their stems are dark red in colour with knobbly brown bark on the branches.
I did spend a bit of time researching but didn't manage to put anything up.

Top side leaf.
5vrrc6.jpg

Bottom side leaf.
fk9uyt.jpg

vzznmg.jpg

Cheers, Jaime

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Last edited:

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
I did come across the cherry tree but this tree was no where near as tall (20-24 ft) as a cherry tree and the berries didn't seem to hang the same.
The leaf is very similar though.

Also thought Buckthorn could be a possibility but as with every berry you have to 100% identify it before eating.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Those are cherries. Eat them all up. They tree may have been small but they all have to start small.

Edit: Just in case you get ill, you shouldn't always do what I tell you to do. :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Have a look at the bark next time... Cherry tree's (if thats what above is from) is pretty easy to ID. The bark is very distinctive!

What sort of area was it growing? Its not uncommon for ornamental tree's to be dotted around streets ect. I have loads by me, but in amongst them are two large black cherry tree's (like you would expect from a fruit shop). They taste superb and have fallen victim to a huge cherry and elderflower cheesecake and also a litre of cherry brandy thats nearly ready :)

al.

Last edited:

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Yeah, it was on a patch of grass next to a hawthorn by the side of the road (sub-urban area) about a 2 min walk away.

Also they had red glands on them like the wild cherry so im 90% sure it a cherry tree

Glandes_Prunus_avium.jpg

A cheesecake does sound very tasty, i mite have to look up a recipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE