Tree / Bush ID help, please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi there! we've been puzzling over what this particular tree may be for a few months now.
  • Its growing in with beech, ash and birch.
  • Well watered, next to loch.
  • Strong sunlight position, sun hitting it all day.
  • Up to 4 or 5 meters tall and quite wide, in a few of them.
  • Flowers are grouped together, white and very nice scent.
  • Flowers in mid may ( Up here in Scotland )
  • Leaves are about 10cm long 4cm wide.
  • Has several thorns along the branches, up to an inch or 2.
  • Trunk is gray and shiny while young, becomes flaky when older.
  • Fruit are small and round. Perhaps 2cm diameter, and I think are reddy brown in colour, but this is no means correct, as they may have rotted by the time we saw them last year.
Here are a few Photos to help ID this tree... hopefully.

A shot of leaves and flowers beginning to come in to bloom:
PIC_0052.jpg

Thorns along a branch:
PIC_0055.jpg

Trunk and thorns:
PIC_0060.jpg

A close up of the trunk of a youngish one:
PIC_0056.jpg

An older one, with flaky bark nearer the bottom:
PIC_0065.jpg

Close up of flowers:
PIC_0059.jpg

Leaves can be easier seen in this one:
PIC_0053.jpg

As I say, it's got us puzzled. After searching a few books on tree ID we are thinking it's a type of Plum.. but really not too sure. It has all the characteristics of a Sloe, but the leaves are too big. Definitely not a Hawthorn, those I am fully able to ID, it may be a type of cherry, but so far none of the ID books indicate it may be one.. Plums are our best bet so far. Anyone got some ideas on what this may be? There are loads of them around here, at least a dozen, would be nice if they were something nice..
:)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I concur it's some sort of exotic prunus. Is there a big house nearby wher it could have escaped from?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's a Medlar in one of my books which looks pretty similar Nag ?

The bark looks Cherry like but the thorns are throwing me, maybe a Bird Cherry ?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I concur it's some sort of exotic prunus. Is there a big house nearby wher it could have escaped from?

Hmm. Perhaps.. Benmore Botanical Gardens is a few miles down the road. Hadn't thought about about escaped trees, good point. Although nothing in the immediate area, and as far as I can tell, there aren't any in between, however I haven't exactly gone looking along the entire Loch side or in peoples gardens (there are only a very small handful of folks living here anyway).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
There's a Medlar in one of my books which looks pretty similar Nag ?

The bark looks Cherry like but the thorns are throwing me, maybe a Bird Cherry ?

Just checked up on Medlar, and nope not that one. Bird cherries are out of the equation too, the flowers aren't right as far as I can tell. Cheers anyway

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe it is a Hawthorn ? There's supposed to be near 1000 species but I've only got the more common ones in my books.

It'll be interesting to hear what folk come up with though.

charlesr

Sep 27, 2008
Johnstone, scotland
Im thinking it may be a hubei crab but what i would say is that it is most likely as everyone has guessed some form of fruit tree, so the best method of id would be to wait till the fruit appears and id the fruit.... Good luck.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
wild and plymouth pear grow in the UK and both have spines. but the bark looks like a prunus, pear bark is usually rough with cube like flakes:confused: the fruits are 40mm across for wild pear and 10-18mm for plymouth. im pretty sure its not a plum because they are spineless.

pete

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
wild and plymouth pear grow in the UK and both have spines. but the bark looks like a prunus, pear bark is usually rough with cube like flakes:confused: the fruits are 40mm across for wild pear and 10-18mm for plymouth. im pretty sure its not a plum because they are spineless.

pete

domestic plums that grow wild develop spines,, its round my way that nagual and myself have been trying to id them, patience i guess will tell, for the fruits to appear :) or a trip to the botanical gardens as its frustrating not knowing if the fruits will be of any use to us...they do have different aspects of different trees so yes very confusing.......

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
some wild medlar develop thorns. looking at it though I still have doubts it is medlar.......leaf shape is slightly different and bark throws me. Its not quince either.

If its not medlar then my money is on some sort of cherry or plum......

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The bark looks like wild cherry and although they blossom in early April in the south of England its possible that this might happen later in Scotland.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
My money is on a Malus (apple) of some type too. Either prunifolia or maybe hupehensis but there are loads of different garden varities that it could be. Can't wait to see some shots of it in fruit to solve the mystery!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A minor up-date on this. So far experienced gardeners and the like haven't fully ID'd it. However it does seem to be some form of hybrid crab apple. The fruit are very small, and if I recall correctly, don't grow to more than an inch at best. I have tasted them just recently and they do have a apple taste to them, however are extremely bitter. We'll have to see later on this year how they turn out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE