Treating a Leather Strop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Have just managed to pick up a leather belt from a charity shop that I want to make into a strop. It is 2 1/4" x 35" x 1/8" thick. What is best way to prepare this, as I believe there are various compounds you can use on strops. Are they benificial?
Ian.

snock

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2006
Aylesbury.
www.airgunbbs.com
I claimed about 8 feet of leather drive belt when our factory was closed and we were made redundant.

I'm not sure how much I have left, as I have moved home and have forgotten where I put it! :rolleyes: :D
But it's around 4 inches wide and a quarter of an inch thick. I use Solvol polish when stropping, and this has built up into a lovely smooth finsh.

It really polishes up the cutting edge to the point where it doesn't feel sharp to the finger, but try cutting something and you'll see it's very sharp.

I may have some belt left somewhere. :)

leon-1

There are a load of different compounds that can be used effectively all are fine grade abrasives.

Abramax grey (normally used with a polishing wheel).
Starkie Paste (can be used on any piece of leather).
Razor paste. What it says on the tin.
Flitz. (chrome polish).
Toothpaste. (use it on a bit of card or thin leather, the card is probably a better bet though).

All can be used either on a belt or a pad, the pad does not have to be leather (cardboard can be used), but bear in mind if you wish to use the belt with your trousers then you are going to end up with a certain amount of it on your trousers.

Do compounds work, yes and to many different levels as some are designed as polishes for chrome (flitz) or for finely abrading ceramic (toothpaste). The one thing to be aware of is that a loaded belt (one with compound on it) can take a significant amount of metal from a blade.

It is also worth stropping a blade with a clean peice of leather or card after you have stropped with the compound of your choice.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Ah. That seems to have answered my next question. Do both sides of strop need treating..

It is also worth stropping a blade with a clean peice of leather or card after you have stropped with the compound of your choice.[/QUOTE]

Ian.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It's true, treating a strop with paste or compound makes a huge difference. I used to simply strop on bare leather, and then I started using buffing compound. Occasionally I'll strop on a piece of cardboard but the point is that it makes a huge difference.

Adam

G Obach

Dec 2, 2005
halifax
i use chrome oxide.....the green compound on a piece of thin cardboard... ... i put the cardboard on the counter top to give it some backing...

it strops nicely... and doesn't take long...

;)

G sharp :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE