treasure for some rubbish for others?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well that's pretty concise! that''s cleared up any questions for me.

being subjective is a tricky one,

I reckon anything that looks new,
swiftly hidden,
or as though someones left it for a shovel recce' (like a bike leaning against a tree) would be a no no!

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Thanks Yeoman for your clarification on that - I'm glad that people are legally not allowed to dump stuff in other people's skips! (at least in the eyes of the law, IF they are caught!)goodjob

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
Found a few interesting bits this morning.
There's a lot of rust on the saw but, solid metal underneath.
4416997232_19fc457fbc_o.jpg

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I've recovered a few bits and pieces from the bin yard next to my house;

A pair of le Cruset oven dishes
A le Cruset griddle
A new saucepan
and a repairable sideboard, that now sits in my lounge - I hate waste of useful stuff.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Biggest thing I have saved from the tip? - a pine dining table with one broken (but repairable) leg.
It is now my sewing/general work table in the spare bedroom.
I have also recovered a bedroom vanity unit which now does duty as my tool cupboard and "surface" in my garage/workshop.
All aquired with the previous owners perm.....

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I did about 6 years working on a bin wagon , talk about treasure hunting . It was unbelievable . Since then I can't help myself, forever looking through other peoples crap .
Best find was a complete pioneer seperates stereo system which I still use for records , tents with one bit of a pole missing , and so much Army/Raf gear I really don't know where it's all gone to!
HEH , Just reminded myself of a weekend on Shell Island , very windy we really enjoyed it got up and loads of people had left , so to the disgust of my family I went through the skips and got a boot load of spare guys , poles , tentage etc
Cheers
Trev ..

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Found a few interesting bits this morning.
There's a lot of rust on the saw but, solid metal underneath.
4416997232_19fc457fbc_o.jpg

Saw looks good though will be a right bit of work to restore/sharpen - good find.

I have a shovel found lying by the side of a roundabout and another that was left propped up behind a tree round the back of my house. Quality garden shears that had rusted over but once cleaned were a treat to use: a skip find.

There's an army base nearby and I've found an abandoned goretex bivi bag which needed a couple of holes patching and seam sealer. At the turn of the year, lying in the muck, was a type '58 mug. When they tore down part of the old base I found a wee ally milkpan in the woods - has cooked me porridge many's a time.

I always seem to be finding old tennis balls which keeps Toby dog happy.

Great thread!

Anyone moved house and been left a few presents? Screwdrivers galore and a pair of pliers for me.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
cant understand why somone dumping crud in somone elses skip would be charged with theft, surely charging them with fly tipping is more apporpiate?

anyway all i seem to salvage from skips round here is pallets (use them on the allotment for all sorts of usefull stuff like compost bins)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I did about 6 years working on a bin wagon , talk about treasure hunting . It was unbelievable . Since then I can't help myself, forever looking through other peoples crap .
Best find was a complete pioneer seperates stereo system which I still use for records , tents with one bit of a pole missing , and so much Army/Raf gear I really don't know where it's all gone to!
HEH , Just reminded myself of a weekend on Shell Island , very windy we really enjoyed it got up and loads of people had left , so to the disgust of my family I went through the skips and got a boot load of spare guys , poles , tentage etc
Cheers
Trev ..

Yes in the right weather the skips at Shell Island can be a treasure trove
my family were also nonplussed by my wombling behaviour
I still use some of the stuff!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
cant understand why somone dumping crud in somone elses skip would be charged with theft, surely charging them with fly tipping is more apporpiate?

anyway all i seem to salvage from skips round here is pallets (use them on the allotment for all sorts of usefull stuff like compost bins)

Nope, Theft it is (although I've never never known anyone be charged!) It's one of those "technical" offences, that would never get past the admin sergeant or the CPS review. I suspect that if I was ever called to such a matter and the "offender" was known, It'd be a case of dealing with it as a civil dispute and trying to "mediate" a satisfactory outcome. Definately not in the public interest to bring the full weight of the criminal justice system to bear!

Me too with the pallets on the allotment (when I had one). I had a superb three stage composting system made up from old pallets that I'd broken down into boards and 3x2s. One inch gaps between the boards for air circulation kept things moist and stuff rotted down a treat!

Watch out for the Blue "GKN" pallets though. As I recall, GKN pallets were a better quality than the average and the comapany insisted that they were returned to them as owners and were more than happy to prosecute people who filched them!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
After a bit of work today (I'm unemployed but do agency stuff when it's available) I took the dog out to exercise him and the local rabbits.

A disused railway line with high embankments near our old Navy base is a Rag and Bone Man's dream. It's piled high with loads of scrap - thrown over folks back walls and fences to be honest - shame on them.

There are seven complete, not rusted, Anderson shelters, half the world's washing machines, prams, tellys, old bikes, fridges - you name it - it's there. There is going to be a complete clean up soon, so i decided to do a bit of wombling.

Today I collected;

4 "Dalek" type compost bins with lids, one football, one daysack and a wheelbarrow to cart it all the ten minutes to my home.

Womble on...

Liam

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
in my climbing days i would find left bolts and nuts on climbs that was always a treat

found a dive watch and a divers tool while scuba diving

i dont think any self respecting person can pass a skip without pearing in though these days i generaly dont take as i use to be one hell of a womble the result was i had a house full of junk

becareful that you dont find something before its lost !

last year my years old steel mug was left by camp fire and was gone in the morning

gona take me years to make my new one as grimy as my old one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE