TravelBread

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ahh - just read this thread (no IT access at home, so have to sneak it into playtime etc). I really used to love Ouma's Rusks as a kid - I'd never of thought of them as trail food, but they would be perfect - would have to carry a big stash, cos the'd go very quick!

Try and find an old SA cookbook called 'Ouma's' - lots of 'bushie' recipes - much loved by my ouma, and my dad, esp for braais in the bushveld...

E
mmmm...rusks......

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
If by 'travelbread' you mean 'something I can use as bread that will survive the journey', I also tend to use pittas.

I don't tend to use biscuits because they are too small to make a decent bacon sarnie, and tend to come out of the pack as crumbs. Crispbreads etc are no good for mopping your bowl after the camp stew so I tend to use bread.

Loaves tend to end up squished, and are rather bulky at the best of times anyway.

If I have the space, and it's only a few days I pack a bunch of bread rolls.
Failing, that I use pitta because I simply havn't found anything else as versitile.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
clcuckowNo mate - that is just VERY STALE BREAD but a tasty trailfood in its own right.
Ogri - basic ingredients include buttermilk and butter - sorry!

Are these the kiddies?

oumabutt.jpg

if so you get them here

http://www.biltong.co.uk/detail.aspx?ID=2673

They do mail order, not the cheapest of suppliers, but you get what you pay for, ive had loads of stuff off them in the past and always had great service and great product, no affiliation to said supplier yada yada yada

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE