TravelBread

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Hello everyone. When I'm out and about in the wilds, I always carry what I call travelbread. Now this covers a wide range of dry, nonperishable, grain based biscuits and such.
So far these are the ones I travel with:
Whole wheat crackers
Wasa bread
Oat cakes
Hardtack
Ashcakes.
Anyone have a favorite I've not mentioned, or maybe an interesting recipe for one of the above?
Always felt that for their weight and size they couldn't be beat for travelbread.
Cheers
Alex

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can get 'long life' pitta and nan bread with about a 3 month shelf life, its good stuff:)

I do like bannock bread, lots of sultana's and honey poured over it :cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nothing beats South African Rusks - lots of variety and all are good!
Try them dunked into strong black coffee as the dawn breaks over the plains........mmmmmmm!
Pretty good in a cold wet Welsh valley as well...
Anyone know of a reliable recipe/supplier in Wales?

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Good advice so far, although with the Lembas bread I don't want to end up like Sam saying " oh look Mr Frodo, lembas bread, and MORE lembas bread..." :)
John Fenna, I'm from Canada, so I'm not familiar with South African Rusks. Can you give me a short description?
And of course, I did forget bannock(duh), I always do carry a small packet of flour for making some...
Cheers
Alex

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - SA Rusks
What can I tell you?
Cuboid, totally dry, flour based biscuit affairs. The trad SA breakfast and travel food, comes in all flavours from fudge to Oat bran to Meusli.
I understand (tho this may be myth) that JRR based his Lembas on his experience of rusks that he found when visitting SA!
I advise my exped teams to ignore bread for travel in SA and just stock up on rusks - you get them in all the Supermarkets - as they are light, dont go stale and taste great.
OK they are hard enough to break teeth if eaten dry, crumble to dust in a bergan after a week or so (but can still be eaten) and get boring after 3 weeks but still top the poll for me...
Just googled South African rusks - loads of info inc recipes!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just tried a recipe for SA rusks - the first one on the google results.
Horrid! and nothing like the rusks I have had in SA.....
too much baking powder could be one cause of the prob.....

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I just love these

P-135116-f.gif

John are they anything like SA rusks?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
For long lasting stodge,
try the prepacked Christmas puddings that'll be all over the shelves this time of year - some carrying an 18 month 'best before' period.
Next would come a good bread pudding like my Nan used to make - I'm starting to wonder if a cross recipe between the above two could be developed - that'd be the closest thing to Waybread or Diskworlds Dwarf Bread I could imagine.
From here I'm onto bannock and the like, with all others paling into insignificance -cracker break indeed.:rolleyes: Sorry Clcuckow, they just don't do anything for me.
John - your rusks sound interesting, wouldn't mind a taster if they come dairy free.;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
clcuckowNo mate - that is just VERY STALE BREAD but a tasty trailfood in its own right.
Ogri - basic ingredients include buttermilk and butter - sorry!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
clcuckowNo mate - that is just VERY STALE BREAD but a tasty trailfood in its own right.
Ogri - basic ingredients include buttermilk and butter - sorry!

I would not say stale, just DRY, VERY DRY BREAD :D I just thought that they looked like the pictures of Ouma Rusks I have seen and the fact that they can shred your gums if you munch down on them to ravenously even with 3/4" of foie gras/pate, and before I get flamed I know that the production of foie gras is cruel, but it should not taste so dam good! :D

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
For all you non-southafricans,pap is the name of the maize porridge used by most people in Africa. When using the course variety( "Braai pap"), it makes a very eazy and nutricous meal. To add flavour you can add mushrooms,cheese,pieces of salami,biltong,anything. Lasts well when cooked and can be moulded into cakes as travel food. Can also be used to make bread in a billy.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
If you have a place near you that carries Scandinavian foods, check them out. The Norwegian descendants around here always have some hard/dry cross between bread and crackers. And they also have a nutty tasting cheese to spread on them called something like gtoss.

And don't forget graham crackers. They're thicker and more filling than regular soda crackers - and travel better.

A friend made a slight change to one of the corn (maize) pone or biscuit recipes. The simple corn/salt/water versions are OK, but he added some pureed sweetcorn to the mix and cut back on the water. This added a pretty good taste, without adding sugar. But the biscuit or cornpone was a little softer, and would not last as long. But they were mighty good - until we cleaned out his stash at camp!

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE