Traser H3 not waterproof!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
The ATM rating generally refers to a static pressure test, which would be the equivalent of the pressure of 100M head of water not allowing for any movement / vibration etc.

Duncan's advice is sound as far as I'm concerned!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think Duncan is spot on.
I have two watches specified to 200m - a Tag Heur and a cheap Vostok Amphibian. I have read reports of people successfully using the Amphibian for scuba diving so I'm reasonably confident they will both cope with swimming, falling out the canoe, etc. Seals must age and degrade so I'd guess the 20 atmosphere pressure test only applies when brand new.

100m watches are usually cheaper than the 200m types. I would expect they would be ok for swimming, but user reports on this would be interesting.

It is indeed curious that military watches are not more highly specified for waterproofness. I wonder, for example, if the G10 survives swimming. I have a Red Army issue Vostok Komandirskie that does not have a specified water resistance but does have a screw in crown. It's fine in the shower but I'm not sure about swimming in it.

I think it's about time the Fair trading people made watch manufacturers stop using '30 metres' or '3 atmospheres' descriptions, and substituted a more realistic 'do not immerse' tag.

<<<< Scuba Instructor ;)

50m = rain oks but dry it when you can
100m = shower bath swiming pool (dont sit on the bottom to long )
200m = Dive watch

as far as the new way of markin in ata 1 ATA = 1bar pressure = 10m of seawater

we are at 1 ata 1 bar at the surface ( ata is one atmosphere and we are at the bottom of the atmosphere of air stretching up above us 10 m of sea water has the same pressure as the whole 60miles of air) so 10 m in seawater = 2 Bar / ata

so a 5 ata watch is only 40m

so you need a 21ata rating for the full 200m

ATB

Duncan

oh and if the bezel turns both ways its usless for Diving it should only turn one way and ratchet round so it wont move with out a deliberate turn once set
not htat we use they bezel as a dive time marker any more but its a handy back up

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
FGYT

I don't recall ever mentioning anyone needed a dive watch....Plus I cannot see it in your quote of mine either (can you?)!.
Still, apart from the fact that a lot of 'shiny types' may never put their hands under water, who knows, all the infantry types may no longer do it either (they do, but I'll go along with you for now lol). maybe you have stumbled on something that could save the MOD hundreds of thousands of pounds, and maybe they no longer need to only buy watches for issue that are water proof!

But, then maybe my 'smiley' at the end of my post should have been a clue that it was a humorous one!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you do not know of the issue Pulsar watch either! It is waterproof, but is not well known for keeping good time......Which is odd for an aircrew issue watch! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE