traps cages and snares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Just a query I recently attended a region meet and got chatting about my use of traps

Every so often I go upto Scotland cos one of my mates has a farm ive always had permission to use traps on his land
The two types I use are cage traps and snares however occosionally my father uses a cage trap on his allotment (for catching pigeons)
I've been reading up on line though and am unsure as to the law in England

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep they are all okay provided you comply with the reasons for killing pigeons under the WCA 1981. Fenn traps are okay too as are scissor traps, tunnel loop trap. spring kill traps and more (used in the correct way for the correct target species)

Code of practice for snare use dictates a fixed stop by species and regular inspections. The same regular inspections should be used for all traps IMO

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well the cage on the allotmo is specifically for feral pigeons (theres a derelict property near the allotmo where the pigeons roost and they come down to the allotmo for the berries seeds etc (we actually put up a notice stating any birds caught in the cage other than feral pigeons are to be released unharmed (i do like photographing the tits and robins which always come down when we're shifting compost) but that that is usually checked several times a day

Other than I occasionally use a 22 air-rifle to finish it

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trapping and killing pigeons (feral or wood) to avoid crop damage is one of the permitted reasons so you should be fine. If in any doubt check with your local police wildlife officer (but good luck getting them to contact you - I tried several times and they never even returned my call)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE