Trapping/Snaring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Not sure if this is the right place for this, could one of the Mods move me please if it's not? :D

I was really keen to do the trapping course at the moot while I was there, and for whatever reason it didn't go ahead. So I was wondering if there was anyone near me (mid sussex) who has an extensive knowledge of the subject and be willing to share it? perhaps if there were a few of us who were interested we could get a paid course together or some sort of trading going on?

One very keen to learn prospective trapper making herself known... :cool:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It might be helpful to know what aspect of trapping you are interested in, and where you want to go with the knowledge?

The trapping laws in the UK are fairly restrictive. You can use free running noose type snares (multi-strand) for rabbit, squirrel and fox (subject to local variations) and a variety of steel mechanical traps.

The interesting array of spring snares and deadfall traps which are usually associated with bushcraft and survival are illegal in the UK (I think this has been discussed at some length elsewhere on the forum, don't take my word for every variation, I am speaking broadly here).

So, if it is practical trapping in the UK that you are interested in learning about, it is a slightly different course / information package that you will need than if you are interested from a purely theoretical / anthropology / mechanics perspective.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Ok... I'd like to learn a bit of everything just from a personal interest point of view, but I would like to be catching dinner (ie. rabbits & squirrels), So that would be my main focus I guess.

Thank you for the heads up Chris, I will try a bit more searching... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE