Translation requested!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Morning all,
I've had this ring for years, picked it up in a curio shop back when I was at Uni. Its silver and I've been told that the script is a variation of Gujarati, but that could be hokum! I think I've got the pic's/script the right way round... any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Photo0741.jpg

Photo0742.jpg

Photo0743.jpg

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
The alphabet used is the Devanagari alphabet which is used to write a number of languages from India and surrounding areas so it could be anything from Sanskrit to Nepalese!

Good luck with getting it deciphered!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ai, Paul was on the nose with Devanagari - given a spare afternoon I could probably give you the phonetic pronunciation, but be no closer to knowing what it says :D

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
Well, you've set me a challenge here!

I've an academic background in some ancient languages (none of them Indian!) but I'm gonna give this a go and see if I can find out. I'm guessing the language is Sanskrit but it's complex so it may take me a while!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wonder if you know what the characters are perhaps you could use MS word to type it out then google translate with auto detect on. Might work, might not.

Me and some mates use google translate when posting comments on facebook. We'd be making comments and tranlating them into languages none of our friends would know. Just for a bit of fun. It confuses those who don't know what we are doing. Anyway, Google translate is pretty good. Think they use a statistical method to translate not just the old method of set rules programmed in which the site's servers use often to come up with nonsense.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Sanskrit seems to be the way to go, according to posters on the translation forum but their main Sanskrit guy hasn't posted yet.
I can post their pointers here, or do you want your challenge unaided? :D

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I'm thinking it's some sort of mantra, but I could be on the wrong track!

I'm going to try it phonetically as Paul B suggested and see what I come up with

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Phonetically it would be something like "bon vatukaay tamah". Which probably means "kiss me quick"!

Z

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE