trangias

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry another stupid question :rolleyes: .......whats the diff between different trangias? I mean between 1 person 2/3 persons etc is it just the cooking pans sizes or is it a diff size burner? Looking for something small like the idea of the trangia but also want to use a hobo type setup as my local woods are mostly peat and therefore not many places for an open fire. Have made a hobo (mark 1 not great) but was thinking about using a trangia burner in the hobo stove.......anyone got this type of setup? I also need new pots/billies as my old ones are not suitable so I'm starting from scratch. thanks D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
As far as I know, the the Model 27 is a two person setup, the 25 is for four people, and the 28, which I own, is a single person stove. The hyphenated numbers such as "25-5" refer to different materials. (Titanium, Aluminum, Teflon coated, Stainless, etc etc....)

The burner is the same for all Trangia stoves, regardless of the setup.

I hope this helps,

Adam

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
tommy,

Addy is spot on, 27 is okay for 2 but for more than that you want a 27. If you want a burner for a hobo stove, its often cheaper to buy a Swedish Army Trangia (although the burners on these are a slightly different size) than to source a burner on its own. I do use a trangia burner in a hobo stove from time to time...a member here was kind enough to make me a hobo that stacks in side a 12 cm Billy and uses the tray for a base. Trangia burner and fuel all fit inside too!

The Billies are good on The SATs although I do like my Zebra Billies. You can of course knock one up from a coffee can or storage jar for the full "hobo" experience!

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for the quick replies guys! My sister has got a trangia but she is in Morrocco treking at the mo I will wait till she gets back to look at the size of the burner....I am only thinking of a one/ very occasional two person (billy no mates :lmao: ) for a brew up as well as a simple grub. I already have a good size gas burner (v light apart from the gas) coleman petrol ( bit heavy but using that on motorcycle travels)
Trying to design a simple hobo stove suitable for housing a trangia for versatilitythe full trang kit looks a bit heavy and bulky swedish army that is.
Red got any pics of your set up? Many thanks D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Tommy, You can get a trangia burner on its own for £8-00. There's quite a few things you can do with that with a bit of imagination. SA trangias are a bit heavy and the clobber you get with a civilian version is probably a bit over the top.

I've been experimenting with this set up. Hope it helps.

Pablo

DSCN0207.jpg

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
tommy i have crusader mug and the stand that the mug sits in the stand has a small reservoir in the bottom i put meths in it its OK if you just want a cup of tea

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks guys that is a great help. Red thanks for the link and Pignut that is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking.....wonder what size Billi that is? 12cm......anyway great stuff. Cant decide whether to make the pepsi burner or buy the trangia not seen one that cheap on its own! Hmmnn I would like a crusader but cant seem to see one in s.s, thanks again guys Dave
Ps anyone no the quantaties the zebra billies hold in litres?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Trangia range of stoves are my favourites, although to be honest I’m not a great fan of the army Trangias, to me they are heavy and not the best burning cooker in the world. They tend to be use more fuel than the civvies versions and are slower to boil, but the pans are fine for using with a wood fire.

The design of the civvies 25 and 27 storm cooker is well ahead of the army version in terms of better heat times, and the civvies pans are more versatile for making food; easier to clean, easier to stir etc. You can make hanging loops for the civvie pans easy enough so you can use them over a fire also.

Using a Trangia burner with a Hexi stove is not the best idea in the world, for one thing, the burner is way too close to the pot, so if you can keep it alight (not always easy being so close), your heat output is greatly reduced. You are better off using a home made pepsi can stove with the hexi.

See what I mean?

The greater distance between the smaller pepsi can stove and pot, allows the flame to burn better and spread the heat, saving fuel and heating your liquid quicker. Although the pepsi can stove burns no where near as long as a Trangia burner, you will get your brew

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great thanks for that guys watching a couple on ebay lookes at the tatonka but is taller.......most of the trangias are with pans which I dont really know how much I will use ta

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rik_uk3 said:
The Trangia range of stoves are my favourites, although to be honest I’m not a great fan of the army Trangias, to me they are heavy and not the best burning cooker in the world. They tend to be use more fuel than the civvies versions and are slower to boil, but the pans are fine for using with a wood fire.

The design of the civvies 25 and 27 storm cooker is well ahead of the army version in terms of better heat times, and the civvies pans are more versatile for making food; easier to clean, easier to stir etc. You can make hanging loops for the civvie pans easy enough so you can use them over a fire also.

Using a Trangia burner with a Hexi stove is not the best idea in the world, for one thing, the burner is way too close to the pot, so if you can keep it alight (not always easy being so close), your heat output is greatly reduced. You are better off using a home made pepsi can stove with the hexi.

See what I mean?

The greater distance between the smaller pepsi can stove and pot, allows the flame to burn better and spread the heat, saving fuel and heating your liquid quicker. Although the pepsi can stove burns no where near as long as a Trangia burner, you will get your brew

You would therefore be better off using a small shoe polish tin or lozenger tin which is lower still. Just remember the trangia stove was designed to be used with the trangia system not with the British Army hexi stove which is designed to be used with hexi blocks!

As for the argument between the military and civvi trangias I would go for the military one, it is heavier but it is also stronger, more slimline(making it easier to pack, for me anyway) and better on an open fire, there is after all no rush to make your food or boil your water for a brew - I thought bushcraft was all about chilling out and taking your time over stuff, not rushing around like you would in normal every day life.
I mean who cares if your water takes 2mins to boil or 5mins it doesn't really matter in my books!
If you want fast cooking then buy a gas or petrol stove!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
yep something like this the shoe polish need not be sealed just put on cover the altoids on right is a slide cover needs to be sealed all around plus they both fit in stove and fold up in side o the shoe polish one is a small one
click to make bigger

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
tommy the cat said:
Sorry another stupid question :rolleyes: .......whats the diff between different trangias? I mean between 1 person 2/3 persons etc is it just the cooking pans sizes

yes

or is it a diff size burner?

no, the civi Trangias all have the same burner, the army version burner is bigger

Looking for something small like the idea of the trangia but also want to use a hobo type setup as my local woods are mostly peat and therefore not many places for an open fire. Have made a hobo (mark 1 not great) but was thinking about using a trangia burner in the hobo stove.......anyone got this type of setup? I also need new pots/billies as my old ones are not suitable so I'm starting from scratch. thanks D[/QUOTE]

good on Trangia burners is they´re quite durable, the sealed lid - you can take an overnighters amount with just the burner and don´t need an additional fuel bottle. Trangia are also quite fuel economic. Links to other alc. stoves (Brasslite, Tinny, and lots of other designs) you`ll find on www.zenstoves.net

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Greg said:
You would therefore be better off using a small shoe polish tin or lozenger tin which is lower still. Just remember the trangia stove was designed to be used with the trangia system not with the British Army hexi stove which is designed to be used with hexi blocks!

As for the argument between the military and civvi trangias I would go for the military one, it is heavier but it is also stronger, more slimline(making it easier to pack, for me anyway) and better on an open fire, there is after all no rush to make your food or boil your water for a brew - I thought bushcraft was all about chilling out and taking your time over stuff, not rushing around like you would in normal every day life.
I mean who cares if your water takes 2mins to boil or 5mins it doesn't really matter in my books!
If you want fast cooking then buy a gas or petrol stove!

To be honest, I don't like the hexi stoves, in terms of a cooker they are about as good as a chocolate tea pot ;)

I do agree about the "whats all the rush about", the meths Trangia's will do the job and I've argued this point with several stove collectors in the past who are just interested in very high output stoves. On a solo trip, its a meths only Trangia for me just for the peace of mind that 100% reliability gives and until this last year or so, I rarley camped in wooded areas so I had to use a stove. When my lad is with me, we sacrifice some weight and take two stoves along, always a Trangia, and then a stove we pick from my collection to indulge our passion for liquid fuel stoves of all types and makes.

I took a Trangia/Nova combo on the 9th March trip, for the 4th May camp, I'll take a standard 25 and an Optimus 111 multifuel (even though the bulk of cooking will be done over an open fire). When you learn to use the simmer ring on a Trangia well, you can cook for an hour without a problem, and I also take a pride in cooking for an hour or so on a stove that can be 1 to 80+ years old that I've restored.

I said earlier is that I don't think much of a Hexi stove, and I don't, but thats not to say that I won't pick one as a second stove on a future trip, I love all my stoves regardless of how they perform ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE