Trangia's don't work in the cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Anything's got to be better in cold weather than a butane briefcase stove (you know, the £10 summer camping jobs that are actually pretty good for picnics)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@rik-UK3 : To a point I agree. I have a trangia knock off which is fuss free and reliable. Indoor test at 70 deg F. boils 2 cups (16 oz) 70 deg water to a vigorous rollmg boil in 4min 30 sec. Outdoors at 40 deg F. using 40 deg F. Denatured alcohol (meths) took 5min 30 sec. However that stove system weighs 13 oz. My super cat stove and $1.99 aluminium pot and foil windscreen weighs 3 oz. and at 70 deg F. boils the standard 16 oz. to a rolling boil in a little under 4 min. That's ten oz. saved in exchange for a lot of fiddling with a windshield. For winter I would use the "Trangia" system as it lifts the stove off the ground.
Pictures at http://espressopaulo.com/11.html

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
@rik-UK3 : To a point I agree. I have a trangia knock off which is fuss free and reliable. Indoor test at 70 deg F. boils 2 cups (16 oz) 70 deg water to a vigorous rollmg boil in 4min 30 sec. Outdoors at 40 deg F. using 40 deg F. Denatured alcohol (meths) took 5min 30 sec. However that stove system weighs 13 oz. My super cat stove and $1.99 aluminium pot and foil windscreen weighs 3 oz. and at 70 deg F. boils the standard 16 oz. to a rolling boil in a little under 4 min. That's ten oz. saved in exchange for a lot of fiddling with a windshield. For winter I would use the "Trangia" system as it lifts the stove off the ground.
Pictures at http://espressopaulo.com/11.html

All depends what you're after. If you want a high-speed, lightweight, unstable, one-pot, boiler then the Trangia is not for you. On the other hand if you're looking for a good all-round cooking system which will brew-up reasonably quickly, fry your breakfast without turning it into a stew, simmer your curry for an hour without refilling and won't dump your dinner in the grass if you inadvertently nudge it, Trangia may be the way to go.

Last edited:

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Sod the debate on how easy or not they are to work with !...

..... where do I sign up as a taste tester judge for the comp in first post ?! ...

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@ Bilmo-p5: As I said, the Trangia knock off that I have is just about as fast as my lightweight kit. I would definitely use it unless I was backpacking some distance with a lot of elevation gain.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Yeah, this is one of those things, you would just look at the person, and say think about it.

Quick question, anyone remember the link for the large burners you could buy? Think they were stainless steel but not sure.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yeah, this is one of those things, you would just look at the person, and say think about it.

Quick question, anyone remember the link for the large burners you could buy? Think they were stainless steel but not sure.

Tatonka burner, stainless steel, very well made, but big, slow to bloom, your better off with a brass Trangia burner to be honest. I had high hopes for the Tatonka but was alas disappointed with the reality of using one.

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
After all, what do the Swedish Army know about cold weather....

On a side note,
I was watching a cooking programme on BBC Lifestyle, Scandinavian cooking or something like it.
The chef was cooking something on a boat, what was he using?

A Trangia (27 I think)

What do YOU know about cold weather according to your location (Saudi Arabia)?

I´ve used alcohol fed burners both in the service and at my spare time. It´s true they dont work so well when the temperature drops. The trick is to keep the burner in a pocket (filled with fuel) close to your body. The body temperature enables the fuel to be lit easier. That´s what you are learned in the military service. The military have other solutions (equipment) if they need to be independent (cook their own food). For example, our rangers use Primus or Optimus stoves which can operate in cold environment and at high altitude. /Mimung

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE