Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
how long have you left it burning ???

you are using meths yeah??

have you tried cleaning the little holes with a pin?

mine usually takes a few minutes to blossom....

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
sounds like the holes need a lil clean then,...

but then,...even an open pot of meths burns clean,.......is the meths in good condition? sounds like a contaminated fuel possibly

let us know,...

Stu

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
ok o have pocked a pin in the jets, the but i dropped a match in? like the web site says?
fuel is white spirit for cleaning paint brushes but its new

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
its the fuel mate,.....

you need to use methelated spirit, or denatured alcohol

not 100% sure but white spirit dosent boil at the same temp (or at all) ,...

how it works,..

the fuel runs into the double wall thru the little holes at the bottom of the resevoir

when lit it gets hot enough so the fuel boils and gives off a gas (the fuel vapour)

this vapour exits the cavity thru the fine ring of holes on the top at pressure, and gives a nice hot burn at the ring ,......

hope its clear ,....

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
stick with it mate,.....the swedish mess kit is in my eyes a brilliant all rounder, (if a tad heavy for some)

Last edited:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Raikey is right mate I've had mine for quite a while now and it works brilliantly. I have never tried it with anything other than Meths and used the pots on an open fire and to me it's a great bit o kit.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I've not used the Swedish forces (Svea?) version but have tried the Trangia and Tatonka (stainless steel) ones. They will burn fuels other than meths as you've alluded to (I tried some old surgical spirit that was hanging around in the Tatonka, just to see how it'd work) but I'm guessing you don't get the same performance out of them as you would with the meths - at least mine prefers meths to surgical spirit.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I use a home made version and i agree with raikey brill allrounder, i use a priming plate with mine which just involves putting some fuel on a tin lid around the stove and lighting that, it gets the stove up to temp a lot faster imo i get a blossom after 15-20 seconds.

Dave

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I use a home made version and i agree with raikey brill allrounder, i use a priming plate with mine which just involves putting some fuel on a tin lid around the stove and lighting that, it gets the stove up to temp a lot faster imo i get a blossom after 15-20 seconds.

Dave

dave what kind of tin are you using and what are you using in it?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
its a coke can stove used in a waylenesc ikea hobo stove i fill the stove with fuel through hole (about10mm) in the centre then cover this with a penny pour a cap full of mths on and around the stove and light approx 20 seconds later its going great guns. Takes about 4.5 - 5 mins to boil 0.9 litres of water

Dave

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If you find the meths are making your billy can all sooted up add a drop of water and you should find the soot disappears! It makes it harder to see the flames during the day - almost invisible in direct sunlight - but it makes the clean up easier :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
ALCOHOL ONLY in these Swedish Army Alcohol cooksets the same as when using a proper Trangia, nothing else, Meths or Methanol or Ethanol, nothing but alcohol fuels please.

Burn a couple of fills of clean fuel through the burner to clear the crap old fuel out.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
I'm looking to get a stove at the moment for use whilst in the van at work - I'm on the road all day. Are these little Army stoves worth the money (they seem to sell at about £8 + £5 postage)?

I only want it for heating my lunch (leftovers usually!)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm looking to get a stove at the moment for use whilst in the van at work - I'm on the road all day. Are these little Army stoves worth the money (they seem to sell at about £8 + £5 postage)?

I only want it for heating my lunch (leftovers usually!)

More than worth it. It's my favourite cooking set.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE