Trangia Winter Attachment

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Almost every other stove on the market needs some form of windshield, bar the Trangia and the Primus Etapower systems which have integrated windshields and cookware.

I don't understand why so much effort goes into designing the burner and focusing on it's specification (boil times/burn times) when the provision of an integrated windshield is surely the most important factor for outdoor use, particularly for an alcohol burner?

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Another note to add......

Went camping this weekend for an overnighter to take some pictures of the sunrise.

About midnight - last brew time - I put the kettle on and tried to light the stove with my fire steel - no joy, the meths had gotten cold.

The bottle has been sitting out in the breeze for about 2 hours and was very cold. Stuck it in my coat for 5 mins and lit first time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically I get back to the original post....

If you want a 'Winter Attachment' go for it. It will only work if the fuel is warm (or at least not cold). With all the gadgets and addons you like this is will be the main issue.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another note to add......

Went camping this weekend for an overnighter to take some pictures of the sunrise.

About midnight - last brew time - I put the kettle on and tried to light the stove with my fire steel - no joy, the meths had gotten cold.

The bottle has been sitting out in the breeze for about 2 hours and was very cold. Stuck it in my coat for 5 mins and lit first time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically I get back to the original post....

If you want a 'Winter Attachment' go for it. It will only work if the fuel is warm (or at least not cold). With all the gadgets and addons you like this is will be the main issue.

You really need a naked flame in colder weather to light meths.

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
trangias are a great little stove, although i think the military one is a little bulky for my tastes. they both take a while to prime which is why i opted for a cat can stove, (pic on my profile). nothing can ever go wrong with these, the holes can never get blocked and as for priming, with the cut down tuna can and fibreglass insulation i use theres no waiting time.the tuna can/outer stove can be used for simmering. so the only advantage the trangia has is any unused fuel can be kept in the trangia with the lid screwed on, but, with a little experience and a measuring spoon i carry,i dont put any more meths into my cat can than i know i am going to use. the cat can also has the advantage of being very cheap, less than a pound, very light less than two ounces and if necessary could be made outdoors on a hike. it has a built in pot stand and the windshield i use is just made form some folded aluminium foil it takes less than 25ml to boil one pint of water, so from my one litre bottle of meths i have more than enough to last me a week outdoors.it takes around four and a half to five minutes to boil a pint of cold water....and one more big plus for me is that unlike some gas canister stoves i have seen/heard. it doesnt sound like a harrier jump jet taking off when its being used.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a 8R it was my understanding these only run on unleaded petrol.
Also an update on my quest for a Trangia stove, I finally decided on a Tatonka meths burner with simmering ring and the stand.
Got it from Lurch at Lakeland.
Going to make my own wind shield from tinfoil bubble wrap insulation.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I have a 8R it was my understanding these only run on unleaded petrol.
Also an update on my quest for a Trangia stove, I finally decided on a Tatonka meths burner with simmering ring and the stand.
Got it from Lurch at Lakeland.
Going to make my own wind shield from tinfoil bubble wrap insulation.

You have a good bit of kit there mate.

The foil bubble wrap? Is that the stuff you can get from backpackinglight.co.uk? This stuff is foilded covered closed foam and is VERY good. 4.99 for a pack which is big enough to make a pot cosy for my MSR titan kettle and snow peak 700 mug.

Mike

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Mike, the foil bubble wrap that's sold in B&Q for insulation, I used it to put behind my radiators at home, worked a treat radiating the heat forward and not into the wall.
I'll try some out and see if it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE