Trangia Winter Attachment

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Just to controversial , I like the tin foil ........:lmao:
Twodogs

You and me both...

Right chaps, take the top or bottom of en empty shoe polish tin, put three metal nuts loose in the bottom to put the burner on, add fuel to your 'warmer' and light and away you go; no need at all to spend money on this.

You can use a bit of fibre glass cloth as a wick or just a couple of match sticks to wick the meths.

Twodogs, MrEd if I find out you have spent good money on a bit of tut like that kit I'll have a chat with the wife and have you both sectioned.

Rik - thanks for the bail out.

its not your money twodogs is spending is it? if he wants to get one then thats his business. maybe he doesnt want to carry around a bit of tinfoil and would prefer something made specifically for the job.

but thanks for your input and tip

Not my money, and he can spend it as he likes. My opinion though and trying to save a forum friend some cash.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Think that should say 149.00 KR, replace the coma with decimal point works out a bit better.

We, the retarded swedish people, use commas instead of decimal points. Sad it is. Bugger to use international software when you have a comma instead of a point on the numeric part of the keyboard.

As a more general statement, well, yes it probably work very well with shoe polish tins, tin foil and whatnot, but seriously people, at around £13 it isn't astronomical, people spend more than ten times that on a knife that could be replaced by £10 one. And the of the shelf item will nest and look neater. For me that would be worth the extra money. I can't understand the cheapskate attitude on this site sometimes. Give the guy a break, he didn't ask for fugly DIY hacks, he just asked a simple question.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
We, the retarded swedish people, use commas instead of decimal points. Sad it is. Bugger to use international software when you have a comma instead of a point on the numeric part of the keyboard.

As a more general statement, well, yes it probably work very well with shoe polish tins, tin foil and whatnot, but seriously people, at around £13 it isn't astronomical, people spend more than ten times that on a knife that could be replaced by £10 one. And the of the shelf item will nest and look neater. For me that would be worth the extra money. I can't understand the cheapskate attitude on this site sometimes. Give the guy a break, he didn't ask for fugly DIY hacks, he just asked a simple question.

Fugly hacks - exactly my point lol!

i think its a reasonable price, i would pay it

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
It seems better value than shelling out for one of those titanium burner/potstand kits, I'd much rather spend my dollar on a HA Trangia cookset which is complete with all the necessities (burner, pot stand, windshield and cookware).

I have also noticed that the Trangia 27 cookset is too small for its own cookware, the flames from the burner lick up the side of the pot and waste heat. The 25 option seems to be a better design (1.5 and 1.75 litre pots) with little increase in size and weight from the 27.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
If you want your trangia to work well for a breakfast brew up, I find that taking the meths bottle into my sleeping bag wiht me makes it warm enought to burn well.

You don't need it in the bag all night - just for half an hour or so before you get up

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If you want your trangia to work well for a breakfast brew up, I find that taking the meths bottle into my sleeping bag wiht me makes it warm enought to burn well.

You don't need it in the bag all night - just for half an hour or so before you get up

Depends on temps though, alcohol doesn't have any good specific heat capacity (a bit more than half that of water) and the relative small mass of the fuel compared to the giant slab of brass that is the burner will not hold enough heat to keep it working very well in sub zero conditions. Better to store the burner in the pocket while travelling and then in the sleeping bag while sleeping.

I have personally used the civvy trangia without any winter attachment down to about -30 or so. Without exaggerating. It does get that cold in Lapland (and I got into hypothermia). The trangia was really only good for snow smelting. It did the job okay (very slow), but the time from taking it out of the pocket to placing in the wind shield and igniting still chilled it down substantially. I was very happy we brought along a multifuel stove besides the trangia. One stove for snow smelting and one for cooking was necessary.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have a primus omifuel for full on winter :).
Having had problems lighting a traingia in the cold even with the extra splash of meths in the groves the winter attachment would solve that :D.

Trangia for me is so simple ..love it

Thank you all for your comments

Twodogs

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
My idea is not a fugley hack.

I'm not a cheapskate either, but I don't like to pay if its not necessary.

Opinions were asked for and what I originally said was a piece of tin foil would do the same job - i.e. nothing special is going on here. Rik said the same.

If people want to buy, that's up to them, but if we said it was needed to use the Trangia in the winter properly, that would be incorrect.

Maybe I could have been clearer. So for clariety....

Yes this is a good idea and yes it will help light the burner in cold weather (not just winter), but no its not a special piece of kit, and the dynamics should be understood so you understand what you are buying.

It would be unfortunate it someone bought based on advice on here and was disappointed.

* End Rant* :)

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
I have personally used the civvy trangia without any winter attachment down to about -30 or so. Without exaggerating. It does get that cold in Lapland (and I got into hypothermia). The trangia was really only good for snow smelting. It did the job okay (very slow), but the time from taking it out of the pocket to placing in the wind shield and igniting still chilled it down substantially

Great advice!

I think the winter attachment is designed for exactly those extreme cold conditions you describe.

I rather fancy a HA Trangia 25 set with winter attachment, the total cost would still work out better value than a titanium cookset and much more reliable and efficient.

The 'youtube' submissions are especially useful; although I've been awake all night already I think I'll sit through a few of those now!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
What is the best Trangia setup.
Is a civilian one better than a military one, what's the difference.
Is it better to get just the burner, I ask because I am looking to get myself one.
I like the set up that Lamper has, after reading the titanium thread.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Trangias are great, BUT

They are hugely expensive considering what you are getting.
If you loose the elastic to wrap it up in, You're screwed
If you dent any of it, it wont fit together = does not pack away = screwede.

There are many better, cheaper options.
I myself use mess tins (non-stick), as i can store other things in with them. and i use a tiny web-tex gas cooker. The cooker only cost me £16, and with a smaill gas bottel, can boil water in around a minute.

Butif you do want a trangia, the military one is more robust, so i would go with that.

Ph34r

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What is the best Trangia setup.
Is a civilian one better than a military one, what's the difference.
Is it better to get just the burner, I ask because I am looking to get myself one.
I like the set up that Lamper has, after reading the titanium thread.

Real Trangia's

The real Trangia's pee all over the military sets. The windshield design is first class and really makes the most of the burners heat and the burner comes with a simmer ring to control the flame giving you up to about a 50 minute burn time; this setup laughs and high winds, cooking in a gale is not a problem (I'm being serious here).

I've used these for decades and am yet to cause a serious dent but if for some reason I did it pans can be easily straightened out. None of my sets came with an elastic strap, rather a belt, but if you lost it so what? just stack the set together, the strap is not vital by any means.

You can use the pots on an open fire, you can use the burners from several stoves mounted in a Trangia to make it the ultimate winter setup.

Military alcohol sets

Heavy, slow to get up a good flame and slow to heat pans, one good sized pan, the small one is,,,, well, small. The burner is not as good as the real Trangia burners and the windshield is a joke compared to real Trangia's. Base unit is nowhere near as stable on the ground due to its oval shape. You can hang the main pot over a fire. I think of these as open fire pots with an alcohol burner for backup, they are not a serious stove unit as such.

Look on eBay, you can pick up used real Trangia's for about £15.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Trangias are great, BUT

They are hugely expensive considering what you are getting.
If you loose the elastic to wrap it up in, You're screwed
If you dent any of it, it wont fit together = does not pack away = screwede.

There are many better, cheaper options.
I myself use mess tins (non-stick), as i can store other things in with them. and i use a tiny web-tex gas cooker. The cooker only cost me £16, and with a smaill gas bottel, can boil water in around a minute.

Butif you do want a trangia, the military one is more robust, so i would go with that.

Ph34r

What elastic are you talking about? One of my two trangias I got from my parents, it was bought in '79 I think, the pots are a bit dent, but you can always knock them out. Never had any issues with dents in any parts that made the unit inoperable. You must be very very clumsy.

And again, there we go talking price... If I were to do a price per meal cooked on the old stove set, it would go towards zero by now. So in the end, it wasn't that expensive. Bought a cheapo gas stove the other year, the threaded metal that accepts the gas cartridge was so soft that the threads got stripped, considering I only used for two week long tours, it became pretty expensive if we do a price per meal cooked analysis.

The civvy trangia isn't fast, but it is very reliable, more so than a top mounted gas cooker. More useful in bad weather. It all packs away in a single unit and it has several pots and can be used to simmer. For what it is it's a very practical and robust solution. The military trangia on the other hand, that's just dead weight IMO.

It sounds like you don't have much experience with the civvy trangia, but that just might be me.

EDIT: Rik, who has a black belt in stoves, was a wee bit faster with the old keyboard than me! :D

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Another vote for the Trangia system.

Although I love them, they are a little bulky and static in the setup for a solo camper, but the burner is THE most reliable piece of stove equipment EVER (IMO).

My DX titanium stove stand is very cool, but you don't have to spend to a lot.

I friend puts a piece of foil on the ground, burner on top, then stakes 3 pegs in the ground to stand a pot on.

Really it comes down to a few factors
- How many people are you cooking for?
- How complex are your meals?
- What is the outside temperature?
- What is the availability of fuel?
- How long am I prepared to wait?

Ask these questions and be honest. If you want to carry a full Trangia 27 set up great! But for one person, its a little excessive.

Are you boiling water or "making" dinner (stew etc) - simmer ring and bigger pots might be easier.

I/we can't answer these for you, but I will say that for every stove and accessory out there, there is a cheap "built" your own alternative. So don't rush for the first thing.

Also there are more stove manufacturers than you might realise so have a look about. Trangia make the standard burner, but have look at other systems...

- www.minibulldesigns.com
- http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/STOVES-BACKPACKING/c119/p977/Westwind-Stove/product_info.html
- http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/...XE-Alcohol-/-Fuel-Tab-Stove/product_info.html
- http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/...argo-Titanium-Alcohol-Stove/product_info.html
- http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/...1000/Titanium-Decagon-Stove/product_info.html

Not sure how much help that will be, but I hope it gives you some extra ideas....

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Going back to the point of this thread - I thought it was 2 doctors and a social worker that were required for "sectioning" under the Mental Health Act 1983? That is where we started wasn't it?:rolleyes:
And a big vote for Trangias in all their varied forms and all the accessories and kit and extras - I'd buy them all if I had the money!
And to keep balance... tin foil and old tins are good too:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Going back to the point of this thread - I thought it was 2 doctors and a social worker that were required for "sectioning" under the Mental Health Act 1983? That is where we started wasn't it?:rolleyes:
And a big vote for Trangias in all their varied forms and all the accessories and kit and extras - I'd buy them all if I had the money!
And to keep balance... tin foil and old tins are good too:D

Bumpy, I was joking.

As for Nurses, check out he Mental Health Act 1983 section 5(4) IIRC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE