Trangia recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
In two group buys I have imported 77 stainless steel mess kits, 28 spare burners, 40 kuksas (cups that fits in the mess kit), 8 LK-70 rucksacks and 9 pairs of leather shoelaces! And still there are a bunch of members here asking me if I can do another... :rolleyes:

Maybe a third and really, definitely, supersure last one could be arranged... I'm getting a bit tired of packing so if I'll do another one donations of some CD's would be welcome! :cool:

leon-1 said:
One of the members here (bumblebee) may well be able to help you out, drop him a PM.

He is a decent chap and has already organised a group buy on here, the stainless cans are exactly the same size as the normal ones so there should be no problems with the windsheild and you could also ask him about folding cups and Kuksa as well.

M

Millbilly

Bumblebee said:
In two group buys I have imported 77 stainless steel mess kits, 28 spare burners, 40 kuksas (cups that fits in the mess kit), 8 LK-70 rucksacks and 9 pairs of leather shoelaces! And still there are a bunch of members here asking me if I can do another... :rolleyes:

Maybe a third and really, definitely, supersure last one could be arranged... I'm getting a bit tired of packing so if I'll do another one donations of some CD's would be welcome! :cool:

Blimey, you are a trooper! I looked it up, and those rucksacks seem like a good buy, too... :p
As for them cd's, im sure something could be arranged :cool: If you decide to do another group buy, definately let me know... ;)

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
The military Trangia is good kit (I prefer a Trangia 27); try making a simmer ring from tin foil, this helps you simmer, and the fuel lasts a lot longer

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
As witnessed (but not sampled, IIRC :eek: ) at the May Ashdown meet:

Salt pork with peas(e) pudding.

I make the salt pork by packing pieces of belly pork in salt for 24 hours. This makes them rigid, dry and very salty :eek: . They keep in the fridge for weeks, out of it for at least a fortnight...

The peas are normal marrowfat peas, soaked, then boiled, fully dehydrated and bagged.

Soak the pork and the peas (in the two trangia pots) in cold water overnight

Dry the pork, dice and fry til golden. Add the peas and pea-soaking water and boil til thick enough.

Don't season it til you've tasted it.

Not exactly luxurious, but satisfying in a Horace Kephardt/ C19th British Navy kind of way - it is the 200th Trafalgar anneverary, after all...serve with bannock.

Jim.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi MillBilly,

Here's another to try:-

Venison & Chorizo Stew. (Bulk up quantities to accommodate your appetite, or the number of diners!) :)

Pack of vension - from the supermarket/butcher/gamekeeper etc ;)
couple of small chorizo sausages
1x medium onion (or a couple of shallots)
handful of dried mushroons
handful of sundried tomatoes
oxo cube
black pepper
dried herbs (mixed are OK)
some red lentils to thicken and add extra flavour
olive/veg oil

Method
slice n' dice your onions and sweat off quickly in a little oil. Use your mil trangia lid or this
dice your venison and add this to the pan with the crumbled oxo cube to brown it off.
Once everything 'browned' transfer to your big (hanging) pan.
Add some water, the diced chorizo, mushies, tomatoes, lentils, herbs and season. Cover and leave to simmer. Stir occasionally and check the seasoning.

This will need to cook for forty mins at least - the slower the cooking the better - so a fire with lots of large hot embers will work best. I serve this with rice; but, you could always dice up a couple of spuds and add this to the pot, as you like.

Enjoy! :D

K

karen

The best recipies that i've found for any camping/bushcraft food are in old cookery books from WWII. I find that they have all the recipies involving one pot and loads of dried ingredients.

Karen

M

Millbilly

Grasshopper said:
Hi MillBilly,

Here's another to try:-

Venison & Chorizo Stew. (Bulk up quantities to accommodate your appetite, or the number of diners!) :)

Pack of vension - from the supermarket/butcher/gamekeeper etc ;)
couple of small chorizo sausages
1x medium onion (or a couple of shallots)
handful of dried mushroons
handful of sundried tomatoes
oxo cube
black pepper
dried herbs (mixed are OK)
some red lentils to thicken and add extra flavour
olive/veg oil

Method
slice n' dice your onions and sweat off quickly in a little oil. Use your mil trangia lid or this
dice your venison and add this to the pan with the crumbled oxo cube to brown it off.
Once everything 'browned' transfer to your big (hanging) pan.
Add some water, the diced chorizo, mushies, tomatoes, lentils, herbs and season. Cover and leave to simmer. Stir occasionally and check the seasoning.

This will need to cook for forty mins at least - the slower the cooking the better - so a fire with lots of large hot embers will work best. I serve this with rice; but, you could always dice up a couple of spuds and add this to the pot, as you like.

Enjoy! :D

You sir, are a star.... :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE