Trangia brick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

So I used my Trangia yesterday car camping and whilst it did it's job I can't see myself lugging this into the woods on foot,too many pots for my solo needs.

I'm looking at gas systems and the crusader cup.

Burners I was looking at are vango ones,theres one I saw (I'll attach link) that sits low on the ground with a hose running off it,thought this would be a nice stable design and would let me use a variety of cooking pots. I'm thinking a tatonka cup and a msr stowaway. Or just the stowaway and a cheap stainless mug.

Crusader cup appeals for the simplicity, for making a brew it seems bang on, I was planning on boil in tge bag meals which would work but if I wanted to cook different meals I'm not sure if it would.

Does anyone use mess tins/pots with the crusader?

Does anyone know if the Swedish army trangia windshield would hold a bcb mug or a dutch 44 mug?

If it does I could pick up the mug and windshield and use my existing burner,seems like a cheap solution, maybe add mess tins to round it out?

Thanks

Buster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0039VXC4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1430592784&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=vango+gas+stove&dpPl=1&dpID=41R7bfQP6NL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I tend to take the Trangia base and windshield with the kettle. Works great, doesn't weigh too much and saves your mug getting discoloured.

I also have the Pocket Stove and, while it works well with the Trangia burner, it doesn't like the wind. I bough the Trangia Triangle today and hope to try it out tomorrow. I suspect this won;t like the wind either.

I would prefer to use a SS kettle, rather than the Trangia Kettle and am looking at options to replace it.

The only problem I have with gas is it's rather noisy. If I'm not using wood, I like to use alcohol as a fuel. But that's just my preference. Of course, you can use the Trangia gas burner with the Triangle and, I assume (please check), the Pocket Stove.

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Have found the Triangle works pretty well in windy conditions - helps that you can point one of the corners into the direction of the wind. This is the conventional set up using a trangia kettle.

Also found that by putting the burner on the ground, using a trivet, and dispensing with the holder you can get even more wind protection. This method depends on the size of your pot...... I use a narrow pot most of the time (Ti mug).

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
So pimping my Trangia my keeping the base,windshield and adding a kettle?
Might work,is the trangia kettle hole big enough for a ration pack?
The only problem I could see if I decided to cook different meals in it,I can invisage it being a pita to clean?

A ss kettle that fits the 27 with a large opening would be good,chuck ration packs in and easy to clean.

That's why I was leaning towards the gas system with msr stowaway, looked big enough to heat ration packs,boil water and cook other foods without being a pita to clean
Pocket stove looks interesting,especially at the price,will check out the reviews, Paul is your one going for sale??

Trangia triangle seems a lot of money for not very much,it appears flimsy,i might be wrong.

Cheers

Buster

Last edited:

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Thanks looking forward to trying it out. Quite like it's multi fuel ability and the small pack size.

Might pick up a kettle for brews and mess tins for grub though I'm still taken with the msr stowaway.

Last edited:

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
No Buster I haven't, it was the cheapest on a quick Google.........and yes, they appear to have good stuff...I could do with a Lottery win!

Paul

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
Hi Buster
Is it the weight or size of the trangia that you have an issue with?
Which size trangia is it, does it come with a kettle?
Does the tatonka mug fit in the stowaway pot along with stove and gas etc?

For brews small and light is good. Use your existing burner and get one other these trivets
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RE103.html
They sit directly on top of the burner on to which goes your tatonka cup (or any 500 - 600ml metal mug) or the trangia kettle if you have one.
Some type of wind shield is essential to keep the burner efficient, folded kitchen foil and a big paperclip to hold it together to form a ring around the burner and cup or the shorter concertina type stiff aluminium wind shields of which there are loads on ebay for £10ish A metal mug or cup with a lid to keep the burner and foil windshield in your mug during transit is useful and reduces fuel consumption.

For bag meals just use your existing trangia pan or pans or the stowaway pot on the burner and trivet with a wind shield.
This will save both weight and volume in your pack and not be to heavy on the wallet.
Or
Treat yourself to some new kit and go gas. Remote feed gas burners are quicker and more stable than the method above and a wind shield is still advised.
Try to get everything nested in your mug or pan so think carefully about which bits will compliment each other.

Last edited:

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
That trivet idea is bloody good,so simple I didn't think about it!

I ended up buying the pocket stove and a zebra lunch box,using the stove with the existing trangia,I'll let you know how I get on.

Buster

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
This is a good set. Less than half the price of a T27 and 400g lighter. Ok, so no kettle but 2 bigger pans.

Easy to mod for gas too...

AsaklittRivets.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE