Trangia as wood stove?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have been looking at some of the wood burning stoves that suggest using a meths burner as back up, but has anyone done this the other way round and used the trangia as fire bowl.

On the face of it, a small grid, over the central holes, would seem to give you a wind shielded fire bowl that you could turn into or away from the wind to adjust the burn, and keep the fire off the ground.

Has anyone tried this?

Graham

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Most (all?) people use stainless steel for their fire bowl as it has a higher melting point than aluminium. An open fire could potentially ruin an expensive piece of kit!

Simon

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Mmmm, I did wonder about the aluminium not being up to it. but it equally seemed to add to the versatility of the Trangia.

Thanks both

Graham

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
depends if u paid much for it i got a trangia aluminium for about 5 quid nu and a steel one for ten quid but i wouldnt but if u had more than one u could try

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Might work as the Kelly Kettle fire bowl is aluminium, at least I think mine is as every time I step on it it changes shape easily.

So if you have a spare trangia set and you do not mind trashing it have a go.

Let us know.

George

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I no longer have a Trangia, so cannot give it a try, I was just musing and wondered if any one had actually tried it.

Graham

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I have and it does work which is good as that was on of the way it was designed as long as you dont over fill it with wood. when it over heats the anodising just turns a bronzy colour and it goes a little softer but is still useable.

not sure about using it like that all the time though you may as well dig a fire trench and use it that way.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I knew a guy who made a caravan woodburner, out of an old aly milk churn. last i heard he was still alive, lol

cant say i could go to sleep, with that kinda ticking timebomb tho

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the wind sheilds are still alu - I though the stainless versions were just unpainted alu? at least the ones I've seen are a standard stove, the handles are steel.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
And didn't Sigg or someone like that make a stainless steel Trangia like stove.

Graham

Tatonka and I think also Outwell do stainless steel versions, not having them I can't swear the windshieids are also stainless steel but believe they are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE