trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your friends should look after their petrol stoves better;)

Not all are loud, this Optimus has a 'silent burner' just a gentle hiss as it works.

DSCF4343Small.jpg

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
hehe, yes it might be so. I'm sure petrol stoves like primus and optimus work well, but they can break a lot easier then the trangia, and require more maintenance. The stoves like the optimus nova with built-in magnetic cleaning needle make it a lot simpler to maintain. On remote wintertrips you always need to take spare parts or even best a spare burner, so that has to be calculated in to see how the petrol stove compares to the trangia weightwise. Both seem to have their pros and cons.

That burner sounds great Rik_uk3, I never heard of a silent petrol stove! Nice!
Saw your vid on youtube, cool.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Hi Richard
I use one of these, Its achinese copy of an optimus nova. I stripped the burner out and fitted a optimus/trangia conversion kit.The only other mod was to cut a hole in the windshield to let the hose through, (1979 vintage windshield) It was as simple as that.

this I hope is the shortcut to the item on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Stov...amping_CookingSupplies_ET?hash=item19b70b0e69

I will try to load some photos of the setup

There are times when I need a brew and 3 mins still seems too long! I have to admit the noiseless efficiency of the meths burner is still a joy to my ears.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Bill

I pointed these stoves out a couple of years ago, they are great value although the build quality on the hose is not as good as the Optimus or Primus stoves. They will burn paraffin/kerosene if you prime them with meths. Last time I looked the seller had the hoses up for sale, worth getting one for the future.

They are a clone of a stove made by a company called something like Korsova (something like that) that who in turn make Jetboil clones and based in the far east.

This is a Lidl Trangia clone with the burner off a 111T Optimus fitted (fits the Trangia also)

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg

This setup is a copy of a stove called the KAP Arctic which used the same components, about 10,000BTU's make it just about the best winter setup going and leaves things like Jetboils in the dark :)

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
Up until last summer I was using gas but now I’m saving money for MSR as these can work pretty good on almost any liquid fuel.
I do have Trangia style stove but used only as a backup.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Well I voted gas a at the moment thats all I use (unless its an open fire).

I've got a few different gas burners but I keep comeing back to a little one that folds away to nothing and is really light but puts out a really good flame.

BUT actually I've just sent off for a trangia burner and folding pot stand (only £15 not £50 for a set) as I like the idea of using one. The last time I used one was in cubs, so that would be a good 15-16 years ago. Should be interesting to see what everyone loves soo much about them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Up until last summer I was using gas but now I’m saving money for MSR as these can work pretty good on almost any liquid fuel.
I do have Trangia style stove but used only as a backup.

Go for the MSR XGK, its about the best they do, or the Primus Omnifuel which will also burn gas canisters.

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
We used the use trangia all the time when going on expeditions with scouts, but since we have bought several or the MSR PocketRocket's, we have been usuing them instead. They are so much quicker and the scouts tend to be impacient. ;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They like the 123 are super little stoves, very reliable and simmer well. I have several of these and they do benefit from a wind shield.

A long, a very, very, very long time ago, back when I was in the 1970s it was not uncommon to slaugther the lower Trangia windsheild such that you could use an 8R inside it. Quite popular with winter hikers; it got you the power and reliablilty of the 8R and the wind-resistance of the Trangia. And since it was possible to buy a spare Trangia windsheild you could still use the standard burner when you wanted to. IIRC the mod was a cutout fort the stove body and to drill a hole for something else. I even recall seeing an outdoor mag arcticle that included a cutting guide (this was back when the local offering, UTE-magasinet, was a nice magazine about bushcrafty travel and -kit, not an ad-catalogue for the Gore-Tex pushers).

When I bougth an Optimus Nova it came (IIRC) with a kit for using it in a Trangia. The Nova was crap (the intake hose thingy was not actually attached to the pump assembly with anything AFAICT, so it fell out in use. Very handy, I love fiddling with small pieces of metal and plastic wetted with petrol at -30 C... Anyone who has an 8R for sale cheap?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A long, a very, very, very long time ago, back when I was in the 1970s it was not uncommon to slaugther the lower Trangia windsheild such that you could use an 8R inside it. Quite popular with winter hikers; it got you the power and reliablilty of the 8R and the wind-resistance of the Trangia. And since it was possible to buy a spare Trangia windsheild you could still use the standard burner when you wanted to. IIRC the mod was a cutout fort the stove body and to drill a hole for something else. I even recall seeing an outdoor mag arcticle that included a cutting guide (this was back when the local offering, UTE-magasinet, was a nice magazine about bushcrafty travel and -kit, not an ad-catalogue for the Gore-Tex pushers).

When I bougth an Optimus Nova it came (IIRC) with a kit for using it in a Trangia. The Nova was crap (the intake hose thingy was not actually attached to the pump assembly with anything AFAICT, so it fell out in use. Very handy, I love fiddling with small pieces of metal and plastic wetted with petrol at -30 C... Anyone who has an 8R for sale cheap?

These SIGG's were designed for the 123, great setup

SIGG2Medium.jpg

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
I Agree with Leon 1

I have been using my trangia stove since 1986.

To ensure the stove is out, before you refill it, put a drop of water in first which is needed anyway to prevent pots sooting up.

Petrol, gasoline etc is a much worse contaminate, than meths, which is very hard to get out of clothing and gives you a nasty skin rash unlike the meths.

I have used my stove all over the world from the Falklands to Africa to Northern Canada, in gales or extreme cold it has worked for me. In -30 C when I was leading a dog sled trip I made Indian doughnuts (doughgods a kind of deep fried bannock) for breakfast.
Here in Canada we can get a small tray that clips onto the bottom of the trangia stove, this is primed with a small amount of meths that pre warms the main stove that when lit turns into a veritable blow torch. No doubt this small pre heater is available in Scandinavia.

In some countries I have used vodka to fuel my stove, some parts of the world produce booze that is very cheap and is probably better for you to cook with it than drink it.

The only reason I do not use my meths stove as much now is because I now tend to cook on open fires. But I love to carry it on small day trips when I want a quick brew in the field.

Dave
www.mahikan.ca

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE