trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Anyone know where to get the stainless steel one in good condition (new...?)? I have only seen them on militarymart but seen mixed reports about the grade supplied. Maybe I will just get a new alu one.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
No answer on sourcing the SS version then; nevermind here are another couple of questions:
How does the Trangia burner rate alongside the Tatonka one (I have just discovered the Greenman Bushcraft shop and have a new shopping list now...)?
Also, can either of these burners be used in the base of the stand used for Crusader mugs that normally use gel or hexi?
Thanks.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
No answer on sourcing the SS version then; nevermind here are another couple of questions:
How does the Trangia burner rate alongside the Tatonka one (I have just discovered the Greenman Bushcraft shop and have a new shopping list now...)?
Also, can either of these burners be used in the base of the stand used for Crusader mugs that normally use gel or hexi?
Thanks.
You might be better starting a new thread for these questions - this partiular thread is so huge now that a lot of people will skip over it :)

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I did; thanks but it wandered off topic too. Found the answer in an old thread while searching for something else: you can make mini meths burners from Red Bull type cans for the crusader unit.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
trangia for me!

i think its an old type one i use it with a stainless sweedish set up and widscreen,

i have been backwards and forwards from gas to the crusader cup set up and always back to the sweedish kit,..

i can hang it in the fire , shove the lil pan in the embers , or be more consevative in sensitive area's with the burner and screen ,

and for the extra bit of weight if it bothered anyone that much i spose we could all lose a few pounds anyway.

it does everything, i have one in my NI pack and wanted one for the pickup, but cannot find the stainless one anymore,

i did get it from here but notice they arent an option anymore, (the stainless was about 4 quid extra, but on the same page)

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/used-swedish-army-cook-set-with-232480.html

sorry for goin OT a lil.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Can anyone tell me whether the Swedish Army trangia set up can accommodate a British Army issue cup? I have been a hexi user for twenty years but am looking at a Trangia alternative, though I usually hike for 4-5 days using PLCE webbing, so the adaptability is important.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Can anyone tell me whether the Swedish Army trangia set up can accommodate a British Army issue cup? I have been a hexi user for twenty years but am looking at a Trangia alternative, though I usually hike for 4-5 days using PLCE webbing, so the adaptability is important.

Lenny,

never tried it, i have the cup in a seperate pouch, and use a small tin cup in the Swedish kit,..

I will try it when i get in later today and post the result on here,....

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Lenny, the British cup is too big but it will take the Dutch(?) version. The larger Tatonka SS cup is a good tight fit, thats stops everything rattling.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I like the fact that meths doesn't leave empty gas cannisters or use any kind of fossil fuel. It's by far the most environmentally friendly stove. It's also completely silent, and I'm mostly out there for the quiet. I really don't mind waiting 10 minutes for my dinner. I've read reports of much lower boil times using meths when the burner is used in a suspension rig like hardcore climbers use, it's something I'm planning on tinkering with at some point. I'm also working on a titanium collapsible wood burner so I can run on wood and charcoal and just pop the meths burner in when I'm overnighting somewhere without fuel. With the price of fuels going through the roof I like the future-proofness of it. The argument that alcohol doesn't perform well in the cold is valid of course, but gas? Gas is terrible in the cold. Unless you're using cartridges that are liquid fed that are expensive both in terms of cash and environmental cost it's just not reliable.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I love my Swedish army Trangia. It's probably my most used bits of kit. I keep a daysack in the back of the car with the stove, tea, coffee etc. in case I fancy a brew whilst out and about.

Can anyone tell me if the Trangia will fit in a PLCE utility pouch? I'm thinking of investing in a belt setup but I'll definitely want to take the stove with me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The argument that alcohol does not perform in the cold is not 'valid' really. You can use a pre heater dish under the burner for one thing, insulate the burner from cold ground for another. Dog food on arctic dog sleigh races is often cooked on 'musher' stoves powered with alcohol and if they perform that badly why on earth would thousands of Scandinavian campers use Trangia's in their sub zero winters? They sure don't all use paraffin or petrol stoves (although they too are popular).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5cc8xBB04

These are quicker though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHyl1RHVWE

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm with Rik on this. Trangia/alcohol stoves work fine in sub-zero temps - you just need a knack to lighting them!

One way is to keep the burner and/or the meths bottle inside your coat for a while to raise the temperature well above freezing, making lighting easier. My favourite is to wind a little bit of tissue paper into a roll, dab a bit of meths on it and either place around the outside lip of the burner, or just dip it into the centre of the burner (in the meths). Lights immediately with a match or lighter, and gets the whole thing started. Worth insulating from ice or snow on the ground with a bit of wood etc - stops the burner losing heat to the ground in the SAT. Once the burner is inside a windshield the surroundings keep it nice and warm, and vapourising happily.

Other option

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
Yesterday I compared the big Trangia (civilian version) with the one from the swedish army.
The former took 20min to bring the kettle with 0,9l of water to boiling point. The military one needed 6min for 0,5l and 14min for 1,0l.
After 24min the big burner of the military stove was empty, after the same time the small burner of the civilian version had suffered a lower level of the meth of only 6mm. Thats when I stopped.
It seems I will cut a bigger hole in the lower windshield of my trangia to accomodate the big burner.
hey there i am knew to the site but not entirly new to bushcraft although i still have alot i want to learn
im a bit confused the discription seems to contradict each other eg which one is the civvie and military one you say the big 1 +civvie then change it at the end to the big 1 = military.. which 1 is the best one the ones from the swedish army set or the civvie set. im skint and trying to organise a 9 day hike along the canal to raise money for charity and trying to get my self kitted out on a budget and light weight im think trangia is the way forward for me but which 1 lol. i hope this dont come across as agressive lol im just confused of the above but i want the quicker and lnger burning time of the 2 if there is a differance. due to fuel carrying all though i should be able to get more at the marinas im sure..

thankyou and look forward to being here with you all

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
hey there i am knew to the site but not entirly new to bushcraft although i still have alot i want to learn
im a bit confused the discription seems to contradict each other eg which one is the civvie and military one you say the big 1 +civvie then change it at the end to the big 1 = military.. which 1 is the best one the ones from the swedish army set or the civvie set. im skint and trying to organise a 9 day hike along the canal to raise money for charity and trying to get my self kitted out on a budget and light weight im think trangia is the way forward for me but which 1 lol. i hope this dont come across as agressive lol im just confused of the above but i want the quicker and lnger burning time of the 2 if there is a differance. due to fuel carrying all though i should be able to get more at the marinas im sure..

thankyou and look forward to being here with you all

The pots and pans etc make the civvie Trangia bigger that the Swedish army model. However, although I've personally not seen them to compare, I believe the burner on the military model is larger than the civilian.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi Tfan,
The military burner is bigger and not as fast as the civvie one for cooking purposes.. Nor does it come with a simmer ring.
If you are looking to kit yourself out on a budget go for one of swedish army units - bomb proof, cheap, reliable - you can always upgrade to a civvie burner or pan set etc when you have funds.
HTH

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
i know these arnt as quick as gas and im not bothered if it takes longer to heat up but i am going with my mate and he has only a little expeaiance camping. so not sure he could wait for the military 1 lol so civvi would be better for him at least so im gonna need 2 one each im guessing now does any1 know the cheapest online source in uk to get them on there own or a 2 man set with 1 burner and which is gonna be the cheapest option the sa set is good idea but i will need a civvi burner any way mmmmm

sorry just realised i have now hi jacked this thread sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE