trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
It's digital. How is that control?
Eh? The simmer ring on mine is hinged, so it can be swung round from fully open to almost closed, which gives a whole range of temps to cook with.

It's not an "on or off" thing at all.

55779.jpg

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Eh? The simmer ring on mine is hinged, so it can be swung round from fully open to almost closed, which gives a whole range of temps to cook with.

55779.jpg

Yeah, but still pretty crude and pretty much a 'kludgey' afterthought!

You have to take the pot off the cooker and faff around with a stick or tent peg to adjust it. Put the pot back on, find it's not enough or too much. Take the pot off again - and so on!

Jim

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Actually, once you have used the simmer ring a couple of times you instinctively know where the place the simmer ring, I think it's a fantanstic idea, not "kludgey" at all.

Having used both gas stoves and meth burners I'll still go for meths any day. I love my trangia (I have the one with the kettle) and I'm getting a SA version soon.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
Here are my observations:

Pros:
- Cheap to buy/run
- Simple, easily maintained
- Fuel easily available
- Lightweight

Cons:
- Smelly fuel
- Not as efficient as gas/petrol
- Not as clean as gas
- Little flame control
- On/off control primative
- Not enough heat for a fry-up!

I like my Trangia burners but they are nowhere near as powerpul as an MSR petrol stove but they are simpler and less hassle.

smelly fuel in your part of the world, the methanol they sell here in Belgium costs 2€, has no colour and no smell; When I was in Ireland I noticed that it was more expensive and they added a blue colour and a disgusting smell. I suppose they try to avoid that way that people would drink it. A petrol stove smells a lot more, Trangia is also safer, the food is less easily burned and it performs excellent in windy conditions.It also doesn't make noise. For 20 years I cooked with an Epigaz stove but since I have a Trangia I wouldn't go back to that.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Petrol smells linger for ever, but a clean fuel like Coleman/panel wipe/Aspen 4T won't leave a smell and will not clog up your stove like the additives in car petrol will.

I am guilty of slagging off the JB, but in truth its a good stove although very limited in what you can cook in it; for my style of camp food it is just inadequate for my needs. If I was 20 years old again I would go down the UL route and daresay the JB would be my stove of choice because I would be living on small high energy snack meals rather than the stews and curries etc I favour these days. The Primus Eta Express is a good alternative with better boiling times, the full sized ETA system is to my mind just about the best gas setup going and they are now offering a multifuel burner option, I'll treat myself to one for my birthday in October:)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
You can buy a Trangia with a gas conversion kit. Runs off standard gas cylinders.

Best of both worlds :eek:):

I modded my trangia to run on both, all you need is one of those alpine stoves with the legs removed and cut a hole in the base stand of the trangia so the micro tap fits through. Been using this set up for ages.:D

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I modded my trangia to run on both, all you need is one of those alpine stoves with the legs removed and cut a hole in the base stand of the trangia so the micro tap fits through. Been using this set up for ages.:D
Any chance of a pic of how you've set it up? Sounds like a neat solution.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Any chance of a pic of how you've set it up? Sounds like a neat solution.

I'll bring it to the next meet at RC if your going, failing that i'll get Dave to take some pics for me and post them here. I was impressed with how easy it was to mod as i'm not that technical. All i used was a big drill for the initial hole then filed it bigger then i filed out two square sections either side of the hole. Now all you need to do is push the gas tap through where the burner sits and out through the hole then screw on the gas canister. The only problem i have found is that the burner does slide round in the hole but i've not had any problems as before you light it all you need to do is site the gas burner centrally in the hole. hth W

Andy

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast

55779.jpg

I find adjusting the simmer ring after it's been on is a pain. I'm sure theres a technique but every time I try and change I usually get singed!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I find adjusting the simmer ring after it's been on is a pain. I'm sure theres a technique but every time I try and change I usually get singed!

Work the hinge until its loose then use the tip of your knife, fork or spoon to open and close it, don't try this with a plastic spork;)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Uhh... wait till it's cooled down?

Yeah, right!

Extinguish burner and allow to cool. Adjust simmer ring and relight burner. Check flame and repeat as necessary!

A Trangia is a _picnic_ stove! You used to be able to buy one working on the same principle from Woolworths for a shilling (5p).

Jim

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Yeah, right!

Extinguish burner and allow to cool. Adjust simmer ring and relight burner. Check flame and repeat as necessary!

A Trangia is a _picnic_ stove! You used to be able to buy one working on the same principle from Woolworths for a shilling (5p).

Jim
Use the pot grabber to grab the simmer ring off the burner, then use a metal object to adjust the simmer.

I've got a Tatonka stainless burner and simmer ring for my Swedish Army Trangia, much better fit and finish, but still a burning pot of meths!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Yeah, right!

A Trangia is a _camping_ stove like every other stove out there! You used to be able to buy one working on the same principle from Woolworths for a shilling (5p).

Jim

Fixed it for ya.

No, use stick to poke it into place.

Or, if you don't want to do that, just take it off with the pot handle, use a couple of sticks to where you know where to put it (cause you've used it before) and replace with pot handle.

What you are saying about having to keep taking it on and off to find the right flame is completely bogus. If you are using your favourite gas stove and you want to turn the flame down you turn the knob to exactly the right place, you don't keep taking the pot on and off to see if it's right, you use it often so you know, it's exactly the same with the trangi simmer ring. So you can stop using that excuse, it's really lame.

I have an Optimus 8R. Bought it when I was doing a lot of hill walking - back in the mid 90s.

Tell you how much use it has had I have the original tube of Optimus burning paste with it. It has been sat in the garage for the last seven years and moved around with me before then.

I was out foraging the other day and felt like a brew. I am going to start packing this in my rucksack. What are the reviews on this one??

Rob

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Love my Trangia and the Lidl copy is just as good. have never got on too well with my sweedish army one, but reading a few posts on here about swapping the burner for a 'civvi' one i will have to give that a try to see how it goes for me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have an Optimus 8R. Bought it when I was doing a lot of hill walking - back in the mid 90s.

Tell you how much use it has had I have the original tube of Optimus burning paste with it. It has been sat in the garage for the last seven years and moved around with me before then.

I was out foraging the other day and felt like a brew. I am going to start packing this in my rucksack. What are the reviews on this one??

Rob

They like the 123 are super little stoves, very reliable and simmer well. I have several of these and they do benefit from a wind shield.

This type I use a lot
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOLDING-PORTA...amping_CookingSupplies_ET?hash=item35a3e830ca

Look on the web and these stoves get very good reviews.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have had and used my Trangia since the late 70's so the best part of 30 years, a bombproof stove with a few drawbacks when used in the winter. I have now fitted a multifuel burner, gas or petrol based fuels. I now believe this has to be the best stove ever now.
I pften think those who knock them either expect too much or like complexity for its own sake. Complex pieces of kit and wild places do not always go together. The trangias slow boiling time is only a problem if you are not organised. Good camp craft will always win out over complex kit.

I now just need to figure out how to mount the burner in the SA trangia now and the cooking kit will be complete, although I tend to only use the SA on open fires.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Which burner are you using Bill? I've tried a few but these days I leave a Trangia 27 with an Optimus 111T multifuel burner and one with a Primus Omnifuel (this burns gas plus liquid fuel).

The standard civvie Trangia is IMHO the best stove system ever designed, simple and 100% reliable and yes, they work fine in the winter months too.

If you need a brew in three minutes, you set up camp too late;)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
As for the temperature... this winter in arctic sweden I used the trangia for a whole week in temperatures ranging from -25C to -30C. I did not have to preheat anything. The meths were cold, the burner was freezing cold but just one match was enough to light it. Just make sure the match doesn't go out when dropping it in the burner.. The trangia is nice, but the weight of the fuel is quite bad on longer trips. Generally it's about half as efficient as a petrol stove looking at the weight of fuel you need. Plus the long waiting for melting snow, then cooking and after that finally being able to heat up the tent , and dry your things is a big factor in taking it or not. Ofcourse it's also difficult to avoid the sooth from making everything dirty if you cook in a small tent (only madmen cook outside with a stove in real winter).

But it gives a nice feeling when you hear your friends petrol burner stopped working and then the day after their spare petrol burner broke down as well. Then it seems the trangia wins by quite a lead in cooking time and efficiency...

Plus it's quite a joy to be able to chat with your buddy while cooking and heating up the tent. Those petrol stoves sound like airplanes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE