Trangia 27 - where to buy and what model?

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,

I have been reading posts about what cookers to buy and many people recommend Trangia. So I took a look at their website and a few shops. The 27 series looks a best fit for me as I normally camp with 1 or 2 other people.

Before I go out and buy I want to ask your opinions.

I am looking at:
http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/trangia/series27.htm
The 27/8 model.

I chose this model because I read that Duossal works well if you are using it to cook on an open fire. It shouldn't burn the food to the pan. This model should easily support 2-3 people.

I can't see if this is capable of having the gas converter? What is the point of having a Trangia that burns meths and having a gas burning conversion kit? Is there any benefit to having the adaptor and carrying a gas canister?

What size fuel bottle should I go for? 500ml or 1L? I have no idea how fast they burn and what would be adequate for a few days away. I wouldn't want to buy a 1L that is going to last months and is really heavy in the bag.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Trangia are well made and bomb proof!

Our scout troop have been using them for years (Since I was a cub)

They are not the lightest option by far but have no working parts and no jets to clog

The amount of fuel you carry depends on the length of time you are out for, for a weekend 1/2 lt should be ample (Expeiment on this though)

The pans (Ours are plain ally) will stand up to use on open fires thoug you should take care when doing this, and I would not plonk them straight on the embers!

The larger sets will easily work for a couple of you (3 at a push) you can always divy the pans between you if weight is an issue

Hope this helps

Regards

Pignut

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Leigh,

Take the duossal + non stick frying pan. The steel interior of the pots do indeed prevent all kind of nasty problems and is also much easier to clean. Next to meth I also use the gas burner and sometimes the Nova Optimus with the special adapter. It's just the necessity that will justify the use of a faster boil (such as cooking for my wife & two kids). The meth is OK if you're travelling solo.

Drill a couple of holes in the pots so that you can use 'm over a fire with a steel wire hanger if so needed and you'll have the most versatile piece of cooking equipment.

In combination with the Nova it's just an awesome furnace, excellent for winter conditions and in fact I see the trangia as a complement for the stove in those circumstances.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Make sure its in stock before you order, Trangia stopped making the Duossal set a while back.

The Aluminium version is fine, like others I've used them for years. Practice at home with the burner simmer ring, you will extend your fuel a lot with this.

As Mastino said, with a Nova its a real blast furnace, as good as the famed KAP Arctic setup IMHO. I use this setup in winter only to be honest, even then, the meths burner will do the job.

The 'Proper Trangia' boils faster than the Swedish mess kit too, and with home made bales or just the pot gripper, is just as versatile over an open fire.

You've made a fine choice of stove, you'll have many happy years of use from it without doubt :)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Good choice Leigh, one thing to note is that the weather/temperature will also have a part to play in how much fuel you use, e.g. in summer I can cook a packet of pasta'n'sauce and boil a kettle full for a brew and washing on one fill of the burner and still have a bit left over, in winter ( ~0C ), one fill will cook the pasta but generally run out before the kettle's fully boiled.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The meth doesn't stink it's all your addatives, here it doesn't smell at all.

As for fuel bottles, don't get tricked into buying special bottles. any bottle will do, plastic, glass, alu. Take what you have already, and mark it up so nobody drinks it by mistake.

And hurry up of you want duossal, 'cos when it's gone, it's gone..

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
My 2 penneth worth :eek:
Why not get a swedish army cook set (less than a tenner) and a non stick primus folding frying pan( about 19 quid), that pretty much covers you , you can use the frying pan and pots over the fire too and the pan over the meths burner if you use 2 peices of wood as supports / wind breaks, make sure you get a good fuel bottle (msr or sigg) the cheaper ones and the ones with the kit let by at the stopper and as already stated stinks your kit out. ( not needed if you use the clear swedish meths but we dont have it here in blighty as people used to like to drink it with orange juice )

Another tip is to only fill your burner with the amount of fuel you think you will need then let the small amount left over burn out then allow the stove to cool and seal in a plastic bag before you pack it, this stops the pong also.

I mostly use 2 smallish titanium pots drilled to take bailer arms these fit into each other and a wide mouthed nalgene type bottle fits the inner (all fits a karrimore 35ltr sidepocket with a brew kit) then for a stove if needed for a quick morning brew i use an optimus crux its neat and compact and fits under a gas cannister in its own bag, light weight quick and simple, if out for any length of time i take the folding pan too thats well handy for everything even swatting mozzies ;)

I like this combo as in the morning i like a fast hot brew then later ill cook over a fire (if i cant i have the stove) Just my ideas :D

Everyone has their own preferred camp kitchen, the swedish army cook set is an old favorite i sway back to from time to time for sentimental reasons :rolleyes: ;)

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I'd suggest the 500ml bottle, I have the 1l one and I've cooked about 10 meals (for one) so far and each time left it to burn dry for a few mins and theres still 1/2 left. Incidentally if you do get it and find its too small you can always swap it with mine :D

I went for the non stick to avoid nickle leeching, its a bit of a worry to avoid it getting scratched but all you need to do is wipe it clean and I rarely need to use cooking fat. As you say though I dont think its a good idea to use them on a fire.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive used the non stick primus folding frying pan to cook on an open fire for years, your only frying / cooking with it on a low flame or the embers not incinerating it in the fires of hell, how big are your camp cooking fires :eek: ;) the food only burns if you use too much heat or leave it unattended. Whats the difference between a fire or having it on an electric hob or a gas ring or trangea burner :confused:

Feild cooking kit needs to be flexible what happens when you run out of fuel?

Any way mines ok and the one before it i gave away is still going strong :) just use plastic or nice carved wooden spatulas they dont scratch.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Set.jpg

Allbits.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE