Trangia 25/1 ally pots looking sad.

Sep 18, 2013
Dunstable
After using my Pots and billy can for a week, they look really bad, they have had nothing but water in them, but whatever one i boil in it leaves a grey scum floating in the water and a grey powdery coat on the ally, the inside of all three pots has gone a horrible dark grey.
I washed them before using, but now after use if i rub my finger round the inside i get a grey finger, this cannot be healthy, can it?.

Anyone else had this problem.
Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

No, those pots need scoured. If you can get hold of something like Astonish paste (about £1 for a tub and it'll last for ages) meant for cleaning pots, cookers, oven trays, etc., and use one of the sink sponges and some water with it, it'll rub off all that crud and not quite polish the surface, but certainly leave it a lot cleaner and better to use.

cheers,
Toddy

Sep 18, 2013
Dunstable
Hi their Toddy and thanks for your reply, i have done a search for that product you mentioned, i keep coming to another product called "Barkeepers friend" some of which i have in the cupboard under the sink (use it for the Halogen top of the cooker) so going to give this a go first mate, gotta try, probably same kind of product as Astonish Paste.
Thanks again.

Quick update, Barkeepers friend worked (kind of) it made them look much better, but i have now ordered some Astonish paste from Amazon.

Jim

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One of my old Bulldog billies went the same way after being stored for a long time. I just used a Brillo pad and plenty of elbow grease, rinsed out with washing up liquid and plenty of water.

There was still a stain but nothing came off

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Boiling Rhubarb cleans aluminium pots a treat.

The leaves contain Oxalic acid which is one of the ingredients in Bar Keepers friend.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE