Trailcam pays its way

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've connected my trailcam up to a bigger battery so can leave it out for a long time. Had it out for about 10 days and was rewarded with this fine chap:

[video=youtube_share;JkGMxR6F_DU]http://youtu.be/JkGMxR6F_DU[/video]

deer_2.jpg

Also caught lots of other critters:

rabbit_2-1.jpg

squirrel_1-1.jpg

Sometimes they don't come alone!

rabbits_1.jpg

I notice that one has a torn ear - should make it easy to identify in future videos

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent to see, really it is :D

You might want to strengthen up the guards on your wee trees though, between them rabbits and deer can decimate new growth.
On t'other hand (and this is the resident vegetarian speaking :rolleyes:) there's a lot of good eating on a roe deer; many folks much prefer them to red and sika.

A friend on another forum left a deer carcass on the hill with a trailcam focused on it. He got photos of eagles and badgers visiting it. He had expected foxes, but none showed near.

It'll be interesting to see what you photo in situ through the year as the seasons change :D

atb,
Mary

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The trees are in 1.2m guards & the shrubs are in 60cm spirals (and some of the hazel is already popping over the top of the spirals). When the trees get that big I'll worry about the deer, although I suspect the dogs deter them to a degree

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The trees are in 1.2m guards & the shrubs are in 60cm spirals (and some of the hazel is already popping over the top of the spirals). When the trees get that big I'll worry about the deer, although I suspect the dogs deter them to a degree

I'm sure that you can come up with a management plan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The term you need Spandit is "variation" :)

Dougster might help you out.

He is a Roe deer Buck btw.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I am intending on applying for a variation in due course but widu13 has a suitable bang stick and I'm fairly confident he might do me the favour of some free deer stalking!

I did meet a deer stalker the other day who might be up to letting me accompany him to learn some things. I think the polis will drag their feet until I've at least done a DSC1 (which I was hoping to do with my own rifle)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh - well if Widu13 can help you out, there you are. I suspect the police will be fine for accompanied stalks to begin with

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I am intending on applying for a variation in due course but widu13 has a suitable bang stick and I'm fairly confident he might do me the favour of some free deer stalking!

I did meet a deer stalker the other day who might be up to letting me accompany him to learn some things. I think the polis will drag their feet until I've at least done a DSC1 (which I was hoping to do with my own rifle)

Free, you say? Normally I charge, but for you :rolleyes: ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Great results. I had plans to put about six up my local woods but never got around to it. As I'm in the UK all Summer this year this post has spurred me to get it sorted.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Great results. I had plans to put about six up my local woods but never got around to it. As I'm in the UK all Summer this year this post has spurred me to get it sorted.

I'd be concerned with them being nicked from a public place - I know if mine gets too close to vegetation it false triggers all the time, which is what would happen if I tried to conceal it, although I suppose you can vary the sensitivity or just switch it to timelapse mode

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It would be nice to have more set up around here. Mine is hooked up to a 12V alarm battery (lead acid) through a torch charger (only one that fitted - it gives out 5V but camera works on quite a large range but just shows low battery at all times)

Not very well hidden at the moment:

null_zps2605e756.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE