Trail running - waist pack or rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have an innov8 3l bumbag. Bounces if stuffed full. I'd prefer a light sack myself. Camelback ones seem heavy unless you mean the very low capacity ones.

Look at Pete Bland Sports shop in Kendal. Not too far for you I think. Doing some innov8 sacks for £40 right now. It's a good make for fast and light stuff. Other sacks there that would be good. All light and stable. I like the innov8 sacks because they're light, stable and have a longer back length than OMM sacks with similar specs.

Worth getting a running sack if you ask me. I might get the 32l one as it'd be a gd overnighter sack. My 20l ALPKIT Gourdon is just a bit too small.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
This would depend on if you prefer having the weight around your waist of on your shoulders? Personally I would go for a camelbak type system. It cuts down on those "drink stops" which keeps you running longer, plus the weight should be distributed better on awkward terrain. In terms of a sweaty back I am sure some trail bags would work and they have an airmesh system which allows air to circulate properly.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
OMM 'Last Drop' pack is, in my humble opinion, an excellent bit of kit. You can clip a bumbag to it if you need more capacity, or just get some of those little extra waist belt pockets that fit most packs if you need them.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Plus one to the Inov-8 gear, I use a bum bag for warmer weather / short distance, but a North face MTB rucksack for longer distance cold weather. I really rate the Inov-8 Xtalon shoe as well!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OMM are a class act with their bags and gear but you really need to consider comfort as they have very short back lengths which can affect stability of the pack. On me an OMM sack, even the longer length ones half empty, would bounce around since they would have to be slung low to get the waist belt around my waist and not halfway up to my ribcage. I am tall but IMHO the OMM suit shorter people (below 5'10") especially the last drop sack (10l of quality shame its so short).

Innov8 tend to make taller and thinner sacks with equivalent quality/design if a little simpler. They are designed by a company who makes running shoes initially but expanded into gear needed for mountain marathons. British too even if not made in britain. The 32l sack for example weighs 600g. The smaller volume ones in some models weigh about 300-400g. Some used to have the horizontal bladder (made by source so quality product) that fitted into the lower (lumbar pad) and the hipbelt fins. This allowed the heaviest component (water) to be centred around the runner's centre of gravity and also not just on the back. I think it worked well but a good sack design also works well.

no connection to inn0v8 despite it sounding like I do have one.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
I guess that in the end it's all about personal choices / taste.
I personally hate having something bouncing on my back, plus the fact that you need to adjust the stripes every 5 minutes.
I would go for a camelback. That's if you are running. If you are just walking, I don't think there is any big difference between waistbag / rucksack... unless you plan to carry 50 kgs!!

Hope that helped.

Toni

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE