Trail running - waist pack or rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've just started doing some longer trail runs and need something to carry water/waterproofs/food. Would the Snugpak response pack be any good for running? Or should I save up for a Camelbak?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have a camelbak Octane that I like, the bladder sits low on the hips so it's comfortable to run in. Salomon do some really nice looking ones too.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm a walker not a runner but I'd think that a close fitting low profile pack would bounce about a lot less and be more comfortable in the long run.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I thought a rucksack might give me a sweaty back- I run really hot, but I guess a dedicated running pack might be different.
It's always going to be a compromise, a backpack will be sweatier but will allow you to carry more. A bumbag is going to be less sweaty but you can't carry as much and will be less stable. Camelbak do the Delaney plus which looks quite good it's got a bottle holder and room for a few gels and bars. You could even go for a handheld bottle.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Theres some hybrids too, like the 'sportshiker', which is basically a waist pack with a shoulder harness. I use one for mountainbiking since I cant abide a sweaty back.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I use an OMM bum bag, very comfortable around the waist and easily fits a map, compass, headtorch, hat & gloves, lightweight waterproofs, energy snacks, buff, compact emergency bivvy bag and small first aid kit etc. As for water, well any run an hour or under taking on water is counter productive,( ive never understood why when i see people out running that they have drinks bottles in their hands, if your out for under an hour then ya dont need water ) if im out running for over an hour then i make take a small drinks bottle and if im in the mountains ill drink from streams. I had the bum bag on when i ran up and down snowdon a few months ago. A bum bag is all you need unless going out for more than a day.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Looked at the Omm 3l today but bought a cheap Karrimor bum bag for £7, it has a waterbottle, room for my pac a mac and a mesh outer pocket for my gps.

The last time I drank straight from a fell stream I ended up with a bad stomach bug and lost half a stone in a week!

Just starting to run for 45mins plus but on fairly remote trails so need emergency bits in case I turn an ankle or summat.

I use a Camelbak or similar when doing long hill runs as I hate the way bumbags bounce around when running. Yes you get a sweaty back, but I get one anyway from the run so the benefit of being able to put in some waterproofs and flapjacks outweigh the extra sweat lost as I have 2l of fluid to replace it.

Its all down to personal preference but I like to err on the side of caution especially when running in bad weather and so pack a few bits to cover a twisted ankle and night out as worst case. I then try to kid myself that the little extra weight will improve my fitness!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I use a 7 litre bumbag with waterbottle on the strap when I'm walking and scrambling in the Pyrenees in the hot weather as I find it less sweaty but I'm not totally happy with it and am considering replacing it with a small, tight-fitting backpack. When I ran, many years ago now, hydration packs had not been invented and I used to chance it and always felt vulnerable. I think Satyr has it about right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE