Traditional Winter fixed basecamp gear!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Here's another vote for a nice display. Even getting the stuff together and laying it out for a few photos is an achievement.

I've been thinking of attempting something like this myself, although I'll have to borrow the necessary technology from someone (probably my wife). My outfit would include more plastic and less wood, aluminum instead of iron or brass, fewer axes, perhaps as many knives and a lot of redundancy. I don't know how many canteens and mess kits I have, for instance, although they're hardly all used at once. Of course, that's true of our kitchen stuff, too. Can't really have too many pots and pans and knives. I don't know how we manage with only one stove, especially since one of the eyes doesn't work.

If I ever did get around to putting together a photograph, I'd probably be ashamed for people to see the stuff I have.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here's another vote for a nice display. Even getting the stuff together and laying it out for a few photos is an achievement.

I've been thinking of attempting something like this myself, although I'll have to borrow the necessary technology from someone (probably my wife). My outfit would include more plastic and less wood, aluminum instead of iron or brass, fewer axes, perhaps as many knives and a lot of redundancy. I don't know how many canteens and mess kits I have, for instance, although they're hardly all used at once. Of course, that's true of our kitchen stuff, too. Can't really have too many pots and pans and knives. I don't know how we manage with only one stove, especially since one of the eyes doesn't work.

If I ever did get around to putting together a photograph, I'd probably be ashamed for people to see the stuff I have.

Cheers mate! Yeah you should definitely do it- I for one would love to see it! It's odd I find once I start I get into making displays, it's a nice thing to do and I enjoy it. You should post them up! And yeah you can't have to much pots and knives :D.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks. I like the look of the handle and the size of the head. I like longer handles on smaller heads, it seems to work well for what I want. The rounded poll I could take it or leave it. On the size of game we'd be skinning in this part of the world I wouldn't see it as being much benefit. Once you have it going ,your hands are all you need.
The only other thing I'd ask, but shouldn't, is how much did the blanket set you back! :O

Yeah I'm really growing to that design. As you say the poll isn't going to be of much use but I liked the axe in general and I just thought it an interesting feature to have :). The 6 point blanket I believe was about four hundred and fifty quid - thought that was a chrimbo pressie and boy am I thankful for it :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yeah I'm really growing to that design. As you say the poll isn't going to be of much use but I liked the axe in general and I just thought it an interesting feature to have :). The 6 point blanket I believe was about four hundred and fifty quid - thought that was a chrimbo pressie and boy am I thankful for it :).

Meant that includes shipping and taxes :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Meant that includes shipping and taxes :).

There goes any hope of me getting one so! It looks lovely. I do have a wool pullover that's been made of a similar style and colour blanket that I like. It's a tad big on me though, so I'm going to split the front and out some toggles on to make a sort of short, hooded capote.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
There goes any hope of me getting one so! It looks lovely. I do have a wool pullover that's been made of a similar style and colour blanket that I like. It's a tad big on me though, so I'm going to split the front and out some toggles on to make a sort of short, hooded capote.

Oh I don't know- they come up on ebay second hand every now and then. My mams got a white one from ebay a lot cheaper and gave it a good clean and it alive in the lounge. The pullover sounds great! I like your idea too- as always if your making it I know it'll be fantsatic - and of course we need photos :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Oh I don't know- they come up on ebay second hand every now and then. My mams got a white one from ebay a lot cheaper and gave it a good clean and it alive in the lounge. The pullover sounds great! I like your idea too- as always if your making it I know it'll be fantsatic - and of course we need photos :).

I always seem to miss all the good deals on ebay :( knowing me I'll probably have the capote finished just in time for it to be no use until winter next year. hahaha

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I always seem to miss all the good deals on ebay :( knowing me I'll probably have the capote finished just in time for it to be no use until winter next year. hahaha

I know that happens to me a fair bit too- my mams as sharp as a knife at the bidding though. Haha a lot of my supposed projects end up doing that, usually worse :D

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
lovely kit there. I'm laughing at the people complaining at you for showing kit when they're on the "kit chattter" forum. what do they expect?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
lovely kit there. I'm laughing at the people complaining at you for showing kit when they're on the "kit chattter" forum. what do they expect?

Cheers! I'd never thought of it like that- good point and I did crack a smile when I read that too :D.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Impressive collection of kit. I look forward to pictures of this lot in use in the snow. I do have one question tho:

Are you sure you have enough knives there? :p

Julia

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Impressive collection of kit. I look forward to pictures of this lot in use in the snow. I do have one question tho:

Are you sure you have enough knives there? :p

Julia

Cheers Julia! Ooh it's a close one- I think I won't be short of knife at camp :D though I can't think that'll be an end to getting new ones ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE