Traditional shaving! Who here partakes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I always wanted a cut throat shave and the full works so my wife bought me one, it was one of the biggest disappointments ever. I complained as there were clumps of beard left.
I use a badger brush, currently using the wilkinson blue soap dish, find it very wappy preferred the L'occitane in a bowl or a bar of soap and a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5, for some unknown reason I don't like Gillette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I've just started out wet shaving after moving from a braun electric shaver.

I use a Wilkinson Sword classic razor, an omega board hair brush, cella shaving cream and nivea aftershave balm.

My skin is absolutely radiant compared to my dry face one month ago! Lol I'm looking forward to upgrading to a merker or maybe a Edwin Jagger razor and experimenting with different blades and cream.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A good soap for anyone on a budget is the Plam olive sticks. 50p each in tesco, wilko etc and genuinely one of the best soaps out there and smell mild, untill you spend silly money you won't get better.

Lol that smell of a fresh natural hair shaving brush once wet..

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been using double edged blades for about 10 years now, just about to run out of the box of Wilkinson Sword blades, no brush, just whatever soap I am using. Normally pine tar. It's shaving, no need to make it difficult.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I've just started out wet shaving after moving from a braun electric shaver.

I use a Wilkinson Sword classic razor, an omega board hair brush, cella shaving cream and nivea aftershave balm.

My skin is absolutely radiant compared to my dry face one month ago! Lol I'm looking forward to upgrading to a merker or maybe a Edwin Jagger razor and experimenting with different blades and cream.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I suffered ingrown hairs on my neck and chin but since DE shaving I haven't had any. Much more fun and somehting I look forward to now.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Alistair Cooke (spelling) from Radio 4 has a GREAT no-soap technique - shower HOT water on to face for 2 mins to soften bristles,
then shave with no lather - works a treat and blades last longer.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Won't bore you with pics of straight razors but if anyone else is into using a kamisori let's see what you have please

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
been using a harkilor straight blade for over 15 years now after graduating from a merkur (having used that for 10 years also) unless i'm in a rush, a proper shave, hot water soak, badger brush and nomad soap, can't be beaten. i did try, out of curiosity, a modern wilkinson sword disposable recently, easy and gave a good shave but there was no satisfaction of a job well done and the blade only lasted a 3 or 4 shaves before i started getting a rash and damn are they expensive. i've probably spent £150 on my straight shaving gear over the years, a nice blade, a good brush, and soap. i reckon i'd spend that in 2 years if i went modern again.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
have been using straights for a couple of years now. i have 4 vintage razors which i picked up cheap off the bay and sharpened up.
one thing i would recommend is macca root shaving cream from the body shop. beats every other soap/cream ive tried hands down.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Won't bore you with pics of straight razors but if anyone else is into using a kamisori let's see what you have please

Nice! how does a Kamisori compare in the hand and in use to a cut throat? I've wanted one for some time, but haven't gone the hog of looking for one yet.

Scored this cute set earlier today. No brand, just 'made in sheffield'.

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I have been using DE shavers for a few years now. I've a few razors and 12 brushes of various grades, boar, badger and synthetic. Soaps well must be 20 plus on the go. I was attracted by cheap blades but got sucked in to a more luxurious shave. Here's just a selection. Blades wise I must have 1,000 plus currently. Some new and some NOS.
6d954899df8263e3d98d627c0788b49d.jpg

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
Lidl sell two bladed disposables that are decent for the price. Get about 10 for a few quid. Best disposables I've used.

For those of you interested in double edged safety razors, the blades can actually be stroppe dto last longer. The strops are usually half pipe shaped ceramic doo dahs and look quite fancy, especially the uranium glass versions.

Is anyone interested in my Gillette coronation no45 set? they are particularly collectable and for that reason I am hesitant to use it.. nothing decent should touch my ugly face, apart from mmy wife. ;)

On the subject of stropping a DE blade yes it can be done, some even hand strop. But at pennies a blade is it worth it ? I usually use a blade for three shaves and bin.

The Gillette Tech is a great razor, Super Speeds are great too if your looking for a vintage. If it's new and your looking for a starter, two spring to mind either a Feather Popular or a EJ 89.

Coronation's are nice. But I'd use it, made to be used.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice! how does a Kamisori compare in the hand and in use to a cut throat? I've wanted one for some time, but haven't gone the hog of looking for one yet.

Scored this cute set earlier today. No brand, just 'made in sheffield'.

I love using my kamisori. It's nimble, fast and super effective. Needs respect though! If you're experienced with a straight you'll soon be flying with one of these.

The main difference is in the honing, it's completely different on one side due to the different grinds on either side of the kamisori. On one side you go forward then draw it back on itself on the hone, the opposite side you just do forward strokes. Stropping is the same as a normal straight razor. A mate living in Japan sourced this one for me from an old traditional barber, he strongly advised against stretching the face as you shave unlike Western razors. The kamisori is too aggressive for that type of shave. Some people think with the crazy grinds on these you can only use one side of it to shave your face but that's not true at all.

On the topic of soaps and creams my favourites are;

Arko and Palmolive for cheap and cheerful but quality

Tabac, Sir Irisch Moos, Proraso Sandalwood and Ogallala Bay Rum for midrange price, these are some of my all time favourite scents right here, and finally

Truefitt & Hill (Trafalgar, Rose, Grafton, 1805 scents), Crabtree & Evelyn (West Indian Lime and Nomad scents) and Penhaligon(any scent) for the top tier stuff.

If you haven't tried 444 shave balm from Portugal as a post shave product I strongly suggest you try a tube. It's cheap and a little goes a long way, you just splash your favourite aftershave/cologne with a tiny amount of 444 in the palm of your hand and apply it to where you shaved. Amazing stuff. Happy shaves gentlemen...

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Initial researching of the Kamisori put me off at first due to the unusual edge profile and the fact they cost a fortune over here! lol

Still want though.. obviously. :D

I've got so many uber 'hobbies' on at all times and too few funds that I can't indulge like beast in one or two specific things.. if only! (be boring if I could afford everything tbh)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They're hard to find by certain makers and can be super expensive when you do find them. I only have the one, then again I only need the one. Far too many straights in my collection at the minute but I'm really fortunate to have this one as well. Apart from my Grandad's Whiskerine Anti Profanity this is the most special one to me. The unusual edge profile is only part of what makes them special. I should have taken better pictures really...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have pondered the whole cut throat shave for a long time now but what are the benefits over a cartridge shave, beside price?

Will it last me more than a few hours before the 9:30 shadow kicks in? Currently sporting a no.3 trimmed beard simple as its easier and requires less time thus saving more said time to get the boy out of bed and to school and me to work. Also I have crappy skin handed down to me from my granddad which doesn't help. Although the beard is starting to cause the same irritation as shaving daily.

Pretty handy sticking an edge on most things so should be able to adapt to the maintenance just want to know if its worth investing.

Thanks in advance.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hmm, hard one to explain that..

Ever hear how 'a wet shave is the best shave' and that you're skin is 'smoothest ever, after' etc etc. Well imagine that, but a little less glorified, but semi true. A well performed shave will leave you smooth most of the day, depending on how much bear dna you have.

And a high quality 5 bladed cheese grater disposable by modern Gillette will give a great shave, but.. no way will I pay the prices for the blades when I can not only learn a new skill, collect more junk..but become accustomed to a 'traditional' method i.e kinda why we like reading about hunting, shelter building, fire lighting etc!

I for one am a practitioner of semi meditation, ritualism. Indulging in an aspect that could otherwise be mundane. I find traditional shaving, not only enjoyable, pleasing and actually very good at cleaning the scruff off my throat, find those extra moments of effort and time go a long way in feeling relaxed and satisfied.

Will it give sensative skin less bother..? I don't know the answer fully. I do know certain methods of traditional shaving, particularly the warm pre rinse, oils, soaping, lathering etc is good for anyones skin, the actually blade on skin effect will be similar to any high end disposable (but different depending on the variation etc).

Best way to find out is to source an affordable double edged safety razor and have a try, or.. buy a shave ready cut throat. (I have one elft if you would like you trade for one)

Same with any hobby, chances are..soon you'll be hunting for related gear everywhere and will go full addict in a matter of a few pleasant shaves. I know I did.. :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you fancy a proper shave and want to see how good it is but don't want to shell out on kit 'till you've tried it why not treat yourself to a session at a traditional barber. Don't know about your area but up here the growth of Turkish barbers is pretty good. Though I've had a beard since school I like to keep it neat and tend to shave my neck and part of my cheaks.
Though I use a variety of shaving methods including cut-throat the first time I had someone shave me was out in Turkey. Had been up climbing in the mountains and came down for a Turkish bath and shave. Though a typicaly reserved Brit once I got over the initial close contact I found the steam and pummeling good on knackered muscles. Then it was time for a shave.
The hot towels, lather and flame along with the keen blade did wonders for my sun and wind burned skin. Though nervous of someone taking a razor sharp blade to my throat it was a relaxing experience. (The most trusted man in the kingdom is the Kings barber. :D ).
I had another shave about two months ago in a local Turkish barber as a treat after a trying time. Was nice to get a pamper and didn't cost that much. So if you fancy giving it a try but don't want to cut your own throat give it a try at your local Turkish barber and see if you like it.
Was great smelling the "limon" oil aftershave that is traditional again. Had run out ages ago and the smell took me back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If you fancy a proper shave and want to see how good it is but don't want to shell out on kit 'till you've tried it why not treat yourself to a session at a traditional barber. Don't know about your area but up here the growth of Turkish barbers is pretty good. Though I've had a beard since school I like to keep it neat and tend to shave my neck and part of my cheaks.
Though I use a variety of shaving methods including cut-throat the first time I had someone shave me was out in Turkey. Had been up climbing in the mountains and came down for a Turkish bath and shave. Though a typicaly reserved Brit once I got over the initial close contact I found the steam and pummeling good on knackered muscles. Then it was time for a shave.
The hot towels, lather and flame along with the keen blade did wonders for my sun and wind burned skin. Though nervous of someone taking a razor sharp blade to my throat it was a relaxing experience. (The most trusted man in the kingdom is the Kings barber. :D ).
I had another shave about two months ago in a local Turkish barber as a treat after a trying time. Was nice to get a pamper and didn't cost that much. So if you fancy giving it a try but don't want to cut your own throat give it a try at your local Turkish barber and see if you like it.
Was great smelling the "limon" oil aftershave that is traditional again. Had run out ages ago and the smell took me back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Great advice, get a pro to work on you and if you like it, try to best him at his own game!

A treat and a goal. ;)

(gte the flame treatment on you nostrils and ear 'oles too! looks cool.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I have pondered the whole cut throat shave for a long time now but what are the benefits over a cartridge shave, beside price?

Will it last me more than a few hours before the 9:30 shadow kicks in? Currently sporting a no.3 trimmed beard simple as its easier and requires less time thus saving more said time to get the boy out of bed and to school and me to work. Also I have crappy skin handed down to me from my granddad which doesn't help. Although the beard is starting to cause the same irritation as shaving daily.

Pretty handy sticking an edge on most things so should be able to adapt to the maintenance just want to know if its worth investing.

Thanks in advance.

Cartridge shavers clog immediately and canned shave foam sits on top of whiskers. Plus they're expensive.

A traditional soap or shave cream worked in with a brush after a shower or hot towel penetrates whiskers and makes them stand up. If nothing else stick to the cartridge shaver but try a shave brush and a soap you like the scent of. It'll improve at least part of it for you. I don't bother with hot towels, I just shave after a shower as it softens the whiskers and water penetrates them making them easier to cut. That's the basic science behind wet shaves.

A well honed straight razor or double edge razor will end ingrown hairs and shaving rash. It usually takes a few weeks for your face to adjust but once it does you won't look back. I don't have time to shave in the morning and I get filthy at work so I shower and shave at night. I honestly can't say I've saved any money over the years because like any hobby I went a bit ott at one stage and aquired a ridiculous amount of razors, soaps, creams, hones and aftershaves/colognes.

I've found wet shaving more than a daily chore, it's man time spent on yourself in a hectic world that soon becomes a ritual. The amount of choice is only limited to your bank balance and you find yourself using different things depending on your mood and looking forward to the next shave the minute you finish the last one. A shave is a shave just like a car is a car, but when you find the right products the journey is far more enjoyable. You can buy any watch to tell you the time but life is short so it's nice to have a watch on your wrist you enjoy looking at. Same principal with wet shaving.

The problem is it always sounds a bit poncey trying to explain traditional wet shaving. It's certainly not for everybody and that's fine. But for those in the know you just can't go back to sub par products when you've experienced the good ones. I had a Turkish shave when I was 21 and swore I'd learn how to do it myself so I wouldn't hate shaving for the rest of my life. I bought a straight razor that day and never looked back. I'm 39 now and couldn't imagine using an electric shaver or a Mach 69 or whatever they're up to now. It's beard season till Christmas for me now but I still shave the back and front of my neck every other day with a straight. I'd miss it too much otherwise.

Some people will say hand soap and whatever razor handy is all you need. Some will say real men have beards. That's all fine for the people that say that but I've found something that ticks all the boxes to getting a bit of enjoyment out of a mundane task we face for the rest of our lives. To each their own and all that, I'm not trying to change what people do but I'll try to explain what I see in it if they ask...

... and breathe :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE