Traditional Firesteel with flint and charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

Might anyone here know where I can get myself a traditional lump of high carbon firesteel? I'm trying to learn as many ways of lighting fire as possible, and this one really appeals to me. I also need flint, which living in a city is difficult to get my hands on. As well, although I have charcloth, I am wondering which is the fungus skin people use normally to catch the spark?

Cheers,

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I can pop a piece of flint in the post for you; I am surrounded by it here.

Zap me a PM with your address.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
This is one of the simplest ways of lighting fire once you get to learn it. I do make some steels from time to time and people love them, but you can make one yourself from an old file, just cut a piece of flat file about 2'' or 3'' and you're sorted :) that's how I started. John Fenna makes great traditional sets with tinder fungus, I'm still to master that :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
You don't neccesarily need flint. Any rock harder than steel will do, like christals and quartz:) But flint is best

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you are after a cheap and effective set - drop me a PM.
I have just made up a whole load of them for the craft markets I will be attending :)

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Neils right about not needing flint. Where I am there is no flint, but I pick up pieces of quartz when I'm on hill walks and they work a treat. Apparently granite also works but I've not tried it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Neils right about not needing flint. Where I am there is no flint, but I pick up pieces of quartz when I'm on hill walks and they work a treat. Apparently granite also works but I've not tried it.

I have flint, quartz and iron pyrite in my kit. Iron pyrite is great.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
If you don't have flint you can use quartz. It's one of the most common minerals on earth. In Norway we do not have any natural flint except in one single location. So I used flint.
And old file makes a good enough striker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE