Trading in, Ray Mears Alan Wood Bushcrafter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi folks,

I’m looking at trading in the Woodlore for a suitable alternative, can anyone recommend a knife that is as good or even better. I have looked at a few that have been posted lately like, Stewart Marsh, Shing and so on. I’m looking for custom made not a mass produced item, and would like to know what the majority use, and how they stand up to field use.

Thanks
Nigel

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Roger Harrington of Bison Bushcraft makes some really nice knives (I've one on order at the moment and have owned one in the past), he has a long waiting list though. At the moment I'm mostly using a Ben Orford which I rate very highly. I don't think Ben is taking orders at the moment though :( .
Gene Ingrams work is superb (possibly the highest quality for the price of any knife I've so far come across).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd go for Alan Woods Bushcrafter in RWL-34, it keeps a wicked edge longer than any carbon blade I've owned, is easy to sharpen for a stainless steel, including a DC4 in the feild - it's sooo easy. And with the micarta handle, requires virtually no looking after at all. Great knife.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Nigel said:
Hi folks,

I’m looking at trading in the Woodlore for a suitable alternative, can anyone recommend a knife that is as good or even better. I have looked at a few that have been posted lately like, Stewart Marsh, Shing and so on. I’m looking for custom made not a mass produced item, and would like to know what the majority use, and how they stand up to field use.

Thanks
Nigel

http://www.bushmanuk.co.uk/

Tutchi
:cool:

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Tutchi,

They look really good,and reasonably priced. what are they like in the field. I have got two RM/AW but the one is totally knackered, it did not stand up to much abuse in the field, and as they seem to be more of a collectors item than a reall bushcraft knife, I have decided to get rid of it.

Nigel

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nigel said:
Thanks guys,

Have you got any pics, or links to websites. How much does the RWL-34 sell for, and the Roger Harington?
cheers
Nigel
Rogers prices have gone up recently :rolleyes: here's a link to his website. Plenty of pics there.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Whats wrong with the AW Woodlore ?
Unless you want to free up some cash why look at a Woodlore clone ?

Alan's Bushcrafter is great but im sure there is a long waiting list now, mine has Rosewood scales but my next one will have micarta.

404_0409_1.jpg

404_0407_1.jpg

404_0412_1.jpg

Martyn described it as "gorgeous and has gobbs of soul" which i always think sums it up perfectly.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
rapidboy said:
Whats wrong with the AW Woodlore ?
Unless you want to free up some cash why look at a Woodlore clone ?

Alan's Bushcrafter is great but im sure there is a long waiting list now, mine has Rosewood scales but my next one will have micarta.

404_0409_1.jpg

404_0407_1.jpg

404_0412_1.jpg

Martyn described it as "gorgeous and has gobbs of soul" which i always think sums it up perfectly.

Rapidboy.

I did have two bushcrafters, but the one is totally abused beyond restoration, the other is mint, I do need two knives so taking advantage of the increasing interest in RM/AW I thought it is time to sell, and have two knives instead of the one, or two knives for the price of one.

Nigel

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If your happy with the Woodlore design the SWC knives are very good copies.
I got a blade blank from him a while ago and it's excellent.
You could buy a couple of finished knives from him or buy a couple of blanks and finish them yourself.
rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Or Shings blades are good and there are a couple of his bushcrafter for sale at the moment which are certainly worth a look.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Nigel said:
Rapidboy.

I did have two bushcrafters, but the one is totally abused beyond restoration, .......
Nigel
Wow......wouldn't mind seeing a picture....you must be tough on a knife :confused:

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Thanks Rapidboy,

SWC, they look good. I have been offered a good price for the RM/AW, so I have a good price range for a good clone/copy. But how do these perform in the field?

Nigel

M

Millbilly

falcon said:
Wow......wouldn't mind seeing a picture....you must be tough on a knife :confused:
Same here. Id like to know what a woodlore looks like after its been used! :lmao:

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Millbilly,

I will look to see if I have still got it. It was a fair few years ago when I bought it, not much of a wait for it either, not like the second I bought in 2002, paid a lot more for the second knife and had to wait a lot longer. This was more of an investment to be honest, if I had known then that they would be going up in value so fast I don’t think I would have used it or abused it.
I have used a lot of different knives since owning the woodlore, F1, Wolverine, US pilots survival knife, etc, which I have given away or swapped the knife I seem to use mostly is the frosts mora, very inexpensive, so I don't worry about loosing or wrecking it.

Thanks for posting up info on all the other knives. It looks as if it’s not going to be an easy choice.

Nigel

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Dave Budd does a good knife if you like forge finish, and one thing you can be sure of.......... the heat treatment is gong to be absolutly top notch, his knives will certainly hold an edge. Also he will make it to your design. Other than that ask the same question over on BB there are 101 makers that can do it there.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Cheers Shinken,

Does Dave Budd have a website? I will also have a look on the BB site, 101 knife makers that's a hell of a lot to choose from :)

thanks mate.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Nigel said:
bushwaker,

Which do you use?

Nigel
:lmao: one I made myself :lmao:
(the blade was made by a member of British blades and the handle was fashioned from Oak floorboards by me)
If I won the lottery I'd buy several knives just to look at, but probably still use the current one as being my own creation I dont mind if it takes any abuse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE