traders forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
how about a sub forum of the classifieds for traders sales.
could be used for the group buys and those of us who make stuff to sell etc.
just a thought.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
To some extent, with strict moderation, I reckon an actual commercial section might be worthwhile. Maybe charge a higher premium than the full member cost to post, and review post by the firm prior to them going live? I dunno how many traders in the that sense want to post, but I'm sure we'd all appreciate the odd extra bargain- I was glad to get the Sabre from Endicotts.

I think though that these posts should be restricted to bcuk special offers rather than just commercial advertisement....

All just MHO

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I agree I think, as long as its not abused. As a hobbyist I often have leather or woodwork too sell ( and now knives too!) and it would be nice to be able to pass these on to fellow bushcrafters. I for one have no interest in selling my stuff commercially but to be able to get rid of items so i can make more would be great :D

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
personally I am all for it :)
I am a blade smith and a knife maker and I normally sell my knives on the British bladse forum. The system works there fine and its is very rare there is any problems with transactions. I think it would be better to have a traders sales and a makers sales section. And to keep the two section separate, basically for ease of identification. I.e. you go to the makers sales and you know you are buying a product from the man who made it.
I feel it would befit the forum and its members as it would make it easy for them to locate the items related to bushcraft.
Bushcraftuk forum is more specific than British blades as the items sold on the bushcraftuk forum will be more task related rather then collectors items. It will make it easier for the budding bushcrafter to find a good source of tools and goods to suit his craft.

OR how about just a makers forum it would keep big traders at bay :cool:

Its got to be better than ebay? :eek:

Cheers
Mozzy

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I think that bushcraftuk only offers, i.e not just adverts for normal gear at retail prices would benefit members by having the opportunity to buy for less, everyone loves a bargain and as long as some rules are put in place it could work very well.

thats my 2p spent :)

Andrew

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
I particularly like the idea of a makers section where people can sell and trade things they have made, or perhaps make there skills available for commission or collaborative projects.
Dealer sales would also be a good thing if it was kept to genuine special offers (like the recent sabre 45 offer)
could have saved myself some typing here and just said "gets my vote too"
:)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I was very upset to hear that someone had got their knuckles rapped for selling in the forum

please Tony could you clarify the rules on this one for us?

Tant

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Or if things must stay as they are I can't think of anything that would get sold here wouldn't get sold in the appropriate part of BB!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it sounds like a good idea to me, im sure i would enjoy the use of it even if my cc wouldnt love the idea..

however i would, as has been said, need carful modoration and the mods already have plenty of work, so im sure we will understand if its not a workable idea!

maybe if it were to become reality dealers could offer a small percentage of what they make here towards the costs of running the site!?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is something that we’ve been thinking about. As some of you have pointed out, the issues for and against trading on here need careful consideration, especially as it’s more work and it could affect the dynamics of the site, which is something you as members generally don’t have to deal with but I do.

So, something will probably come about that will be what you’d like to see, be patient though, I’m in the middle of getting the family set up in a new place and there’s been a few upheavals lately. In a couple of weeks though things should be a bit more normal and this sort of thing can be considered properly.

Cheers

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I was very upset to hear that someone had got their knuckles rapped for selling in the forum

please Tony could you clarify the rules on this one for us?

Tant

Hiya, just a quick clarification, I'll put a post in the members cassified soon that explains everything in detail.

Its quite simple..... No commercial selling on BCUK at all, no listing stock or price lists. A single link in a signature to a commercial site is allowed. The members classified is there for selling personal items, ie second hand stuff and unwanted gifts. Its not there for makers who are making things to sell, this is commercial (albeit on a small scale), neither is it for companies to advertise there wares.

If you have an offer that you think would be good for the BCUK members, then contact the admin as it is possible to arrange a BCUK special offer that will be posted in the relavant forum.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Cheers

:D
Ed

It does clear things up, but in my opinion, and it is just mine :D it's a policy that is denying members access to some fantastic kit, not just from dealers, but from custom makers as well, at great prices.

Before anyone gets upset, this isn't meant to sound antagonistic or argumentative in the slightest but thanks to the wonders of the internet it may come across that way, it's really really not meant to, it's just a statement, honest :eek:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
It does clear things up, but in my opinion, and it is just mine it's a policy that is denying members access to some fantastic kit, not just from dealers, but from custom makers as well, at great prices.

Before anyone gets upset, this isn't meant to sound antagonistic or argumentative in the slightest but thanks to the wonders of the internet it may come across that way, it's really really not meant to, it's just a statement, honest
Not at all mate..... actually its threads like this that help BCUK evolve. As we speak the staff are discussing having a trading forum or a section on the site for this exact purpose due to this thread...... but there are serious concerns that we have to go through first, so please bare with us...... remember that we too have real lives and some of us have little spare time on our hands at the moment..... its a slow process .....

What I posted above was as it stands at the moment...... thats not to say it will not change in the future.....

Watch this space......

:D
Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
In light of the above Edd, we know the rule you posted above has to date done a good job of stopping the forum from being flooded with large company’s promoting their products and deals..
I don’t however think these things are black and white, for example I don’t think Lord Farquhar, who I think Tant was also referring to, should have his knuckles rapped for selling a knife and offering his services as a part time hobbyist maker, you cant place him in the same category as say a large online retailer importing goods from abroad with large mark ups and profits!? I don’t think that him selling bushcraft blades here detracts from the forum, quite the opposite in fact.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yes.... thats exactly why we are looking into it. What we wanted to avoid is an all out trade war by companies, with people undercutting people and all the agro that goes with it. We've seem too many forums go down because of this sort of thing.... therefore we had a blanket ban on trading.

But its still a hard one to sort out ...... where do we draw the line between a hobbyist knife make and a knife maker with a high turn over (who hasn't registered as a company therefore avoiding tax etc...).... how do we check?

Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Ed, i understand you guys have a lot of other things to consider, it was just my 2p and we know you guys always do whats best for the forum!

Thanks for all your work :cool: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE